I got side tracked, so my rhizomes had to spend a week in the fridge, but I finally got out and started working on 'em this past weekend. I was originally thinking that I'd plant them along the fence and try training them horizontally, but when I got back there with the shovel I decided that it just wasn't going to work that well in the places I was planning.
Soooo... I dug out a new planter along the south side of the house (only other option I had left). I'll be able to get about 12 feet vertical this way by going to the roof. Haven't decided yet if I want to mess with going horizontal at that point. Not exactly a convenient height to be training them.
I've only gotten it far enough to get them into the ground. I got the grass out, dug a hole where each will be, and back filled it pretty generously with 50/50 compost and topsoil. Once they're through that, good luck with the @#%#! clay here little plants!
Anyway, it looks like crap at the moment, but I'll extend the chopped-block border around it this weekend and fill it all in with some more compost. Made the area big enough to carve out some space for the wife to have for herbs, so I've managed to keep her happy through yet another crazy idea.......