The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Rhizomes or Growing Tips Near DC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
KB12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rhizomes or Growing Tips Near DC?

Hey,
I just moved to the DC area, found out the house I'm in has a big, sunny yard and the owner is keen on brewing/growing some hops. I was wondering if there was anyone in the DC area that might have some rhizomes willing to spare or if anyone has some tips as to what kinds work well in the area? I know slim chance and a little late in the season but thanks for the help in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't write off the first year. In my first season I had great production from Cascade, Magnum and Nugget.

Cascade seems to grow well for everyone so that would be a safe one to start with.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

+1 on the Cascade. If you like that flavor in your beer, they seem very quick to grow and very resistant to problems. HopsDirect sells rhizomes for pretty cheap right now.

1st year was nearly a bust for me, but with better care they can produce at least a little. 2nd year was pretty bountiful.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
growinghops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I 3rd Cascade hops. They are disease resistant, grow like gangbusters, heavy hop cone producers and add excellent flavor to any beer or ale. Plenty of time to get them in the ground.

I planted mid April last year and harvested 1.8 pounds from my Cascade bines (1 rhizome, one rope, 3 bines)

I added a couple new sources to my list of online hop rhizome sellers.

Last edited by growinghops; 03-19-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

my first year cascade rhizomes in northern VA got to about 6 feet and produced no cones....so be patient. and, its not too late in the season to plant at all

Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
KB12
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to dig up the yard and order the rhizomes tomorrow, probably put down a few of the Cascards and another 2 kinds or so. Don't think I've been so excited about yard work since I was a kid and got to play in the fall leaves! Or when I get to cut something with my machete...

Quick Reply