The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Rhizome size and 1st year yield

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
wrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rhizome size and 1st year yield

I just received my rhizome order in the mail. Four varieties. They're all cut to the same length, but range widely in diameter - from about 3/8" for the Cascade to +1.5" on the Willamette. It's like comparing a pencil to a section of fat broom handle.

Does the size of the rhizome have anything to do with what I can expect for a first year yield? All will be planted in the same place and let's assume they're all equally happy in this environment. Will the Willamette take off like a rocket with the smaller specimens taking longer to establish?

It doesn't matter much since it's out of my control, but I'm curious what to expect. I would think the larger rhizomes would have more stored energy ready to unleash. Either way, I'll try to remember to come back to this post in the fall and prove/disprove everyone's theories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Yes, the bigger rhizome has a better chance of producing this year, for exactly the reason you suspect. On the other hand, Cascade is a weed that will produce under almost any conditions.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Agree with above. One thing to consider is some hops produce more than others. Cascade is a go to hop for home growers because it's so friendly on so many levels. Fuggle and willamette are fickle and less likely to produce. Perhaps you get a thicker rhizome to compensate for that fact?

As the season contiunes rember all things being equal some hops will produce earlier than others and produce more than others.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know it seems strange, but all the rhizomes off my Willamette are thick son of a guns, the cascades always have very thin rhizomes. They all grow great now, but the first year the Willamette really took off (bigger rhizome to start with).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My biggest rhizome was a centennial, then after that all the others were quite small.
Regardless of the size they all took off pretty fast. Retrofit, you are correct about Willamette being picky. At least in my climate they don’t seem to like it one bit. It was the smallest plant and produced no cones.

Quick Reply