Rhizome Planting Instructions
1) Dig a hole about the size of a gallon milk container
2) Mix up some potting soil with composted manure add a tablespoon of an Organic Fertilizer (Miracle Grow makes one now) and a ½ teaspoon of borax for Boron.
3) Lightly pack 2 to 3 inches of the mix in the hole.
4) Select your Rhizome
5) Notice on the Rhizomes that there are white to reddish, purple nodes. These are your future bines. The tips of these should point towards the sky. Some Rhizomes will show no developed nodes as they have yet to emerge so it is harder to detect the angle they will grow look at the bump on the rootstock, generally the larger end of it should be planted towards china .It is very important that the nodes are pointed up towards the sun.
6) Hold the Rhizome in the hole, nodes pointed up and push your mix around it lightly packing with the palm of your hand. Hill it up on top about 2 . Give it a drink a few cups is enough. Depending on your weather, your bines should emerge in about 2 weeks. Dont worry about freezing temps prior to emergence. The nodes generally will not go active until the soil is constantly above 40 degrees.
7) You can hold your Rhizomes in the fridge in a ziplock w a moist paper towel for a couple of months. I found some hidden in the back of the fridge the end of July and they came up. You may notice a little white mold on them and rinsing w cool water will remove this no problem.
We have a limited supply or Certified Organic Rhizomes for sale and a deal for HBT and Yahoo Grow Hops Members. Buy 4 get 1 free buy 10 get 3 free. Cheers Glen