Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Rhizome Exchange Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
What they don't know....
This is not really a joking matter. Plant quarantines are VERY important. Citrus canker in Florida was 99.9% likely to have come in from a plant that someone smuggled in from Asia and planted it in their backyard. 87,000 acres of commercial citrus groves have been removed so far to try to irradicate it. Ask any Florida citrus grower what they think of people smuggling plants in and what they'd like to do to those who are caught.

Chestnut blight and Dutch Elm disease arrived on our shores over a hundred years ago on infected materials before there were regulations. It is extremely rare to find a wild Chestnut or American Elm tree. They've been almost wiped out.

The import ban is to prevent a similar problem for hops. Do you really want to take a chance at being the person who brought in a diseased plant (or new insect) that then spreads and cripples the WA hop industry? Epidemiologist are pretty good at tracking down the origin of new infections/pest.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Amen to that... a friend of mine is a taxidermist that went into business with a friend of his (NOT ME) raising trophy whitetails. Instead, they were responsible for importing Chronic Wasting Disease to our area, and it's here to stay. Same deal applies to plants.

Don't do it. Besides the law, I'd wager that there would be some on this forum that would be eager to make you disappear for doing it.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossnaree View Post
Don't do it. Besides the law, I'd wager that there would be some on this forum that would be eager to make you disappear for doing it.
Do I hear black helicopters?

Anyway, no it's not a good idea to import unknown plants. Purchasing from a dealer is another thing. they have state and federal oversight. My guess is you could research hop disease and really not find too much that is going to be a danger to existing crops. There is plenty of research out there in dealing with hop disease problems. WA may have a ban on imports to simply protect costly hybrid strains from blending with wild or unknown varieties. Just my opinion....no proof to offer.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
JayC

Recipes 

I think this forum had a pretty extensive exchange set up this past spring. I had just ordered my first rhizomes at the time, so I wasn't paying too much attention.

I'll ferment anything that moves!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #15
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
Alas, WA prohibits the import of Rhizomes... Otherwise I'd be happy to purchase a couple from you.

I'm still trying to find a local, WA, supply. my local HB stores aren't all that great, I may have to go to the big city.
Try HopUnion - they're in the Yakima area - they should be able to put you onto someone who sells rhizomes in Washington.

509-574-5139

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd be up for trading with someone around the Ohio area. The only problem is that I have Cascade and that's probably what everybody has around here...

Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
JayC

Recipes 

I'm in Cleveland, and yeah, I already have Cascade. I've also got Mt Hood and Willamette. Put them both in last spring, so I don't know if they'll really be ready to have rhizomes snipped off yet this spring or not.

I'll ferment anything that moves!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
On almost the same subject - I have 5 friends that are willing to grow 5 different strains of Hops. How or where is the best way to GET Rhizomes. Can I order them somewhere? Is there a place where Home Brewers go?
Freshhops is where i bought my rhizomes a couple years ago. They have a great selection and good prices. In addition you can pick up some cones with your order and they have some good information about growing hops and the differences in the varieties.

Several other online HBSes will be taking orders for rhizomes starting in late winter.

I have a Cascades, Willamette, Centennial, and Chinook plants growing in my hop garden. I'm not looking to expand right now but may be willing to trade rhizomes for cones from other varieties. I would even consider giving some away for the cost of shipping. However I've never harvested rhizomes before so I can't guarantee they would be successful, nor even guarantee that I could harvest them at the correct time, as the hops are at my parents place which is an hour drive from home.

Craig

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Freshhops is where i bought my rhizomes a couple years ago. They have a great selection and good prices. In addition you can pick up some cones with your order and they have some good information about growing hops and the differences in the varieties.

Several other online HBSes will be taking orders for rhizomes starting in late winter.

I have a Cascades, Willamette, Centennial, and Chinook plants growing in my hop garden. I'm not looking to expand right now but may be willing to trade rhizomes for cones from other varieties. I would even consider giving some away for the cost of shipping. However I've never harvested rhizomes before so I can't guarantee they would be successful, nor even guarantee that I could harvest them at the correct time, as the hops are at my parents place which is an hour drive from home.

Craig

As a fellow Steeler fan stuck in Cleveland let me first say that Sunday night ROCKED!

And oh yeah, I will take you up on some freebies. Maybe we can touch base this spring...

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy44060 View Post
As a fellow Steeler fan stuck in Cleveland let me first say that Sunday night ROCKED!

And oh yeah, I will take you up on some freebies. Maybe we can touch base this spring...
That game sure did. I can't remember the last time I was so fired up during a game. Lets hope this week is even better.

As for the rhizomes, send me a PM, I'll try to see when and how I should harvest. The rhizomes are usually under a pile of snow in the heart of the snow belt, so i won't see them until spring.

Craig

Quick Reply