Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Rats and Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
MrWhite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Rats and Hops

We are in the planning stages of adding a 10 acre hops field to our property on the Central Coast of CA. Previously alfalfa has been grown here, but with a huge rat problem. does anyone know how rats like Hops? Should we be concerned?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had some nibble young shoots, which can be frustrating. But when the hops get going, they don't have much use for them, at least where I live. Granted, I don't have a huge rat problem but they tend to find other things in my yard (cherry tomatoes, for example) that they prefer. I can't see how ten acres of hops could get overrun by rats. Maybe some owl boxes around the fields would be worthwhile...they'd be easy to mount on the poles. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Rats are $2-4 at the pet store. You could get one and see if they have the same affect on rats as they do dogs. If so hopes would be a winwin.

Ps I'm not condoning killing snake food, but science has to be tested some how. right?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
MrWhite
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

well at least they only seem to like the young shoots... that should give us only a short season of worry. We currently have 140 acres of wine grapes growing, so plenty of established owl boxes with more on the way. I've also been trying to find a snake breeder who can sell me a bunch of baby gopher snakes to help our rodent issue (for grapes it's just gophers and ground squirrels). maybe we should put grow tubes on the rhizomes for the first year...?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I can say for certain that Brown Wood rats do not eat hops, don't know about grey or black rats.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply