New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Quick Question about Trellis Lines and Ground Stakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
PKisNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Quick Question about Trellis Lines and Ground Stakes

Hi everybody!

To give a quick background this is my first year planting hops and the plants are starting to really take off. I have put up the maypole/teepee style hop trellis with lines running to the stop of a 18' pole. Here is the question. The ground stakes I have are not holding well as the soil is a little too soft and the spikes are a little too short. I want to hang my ground stakes before its too late and could damage the plant if it comes out of the ground.

How can I fix this? Anyone out there that has had this problem?

Should I get longer wooden stakes from home depot? or wider camping tent stakes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
mwill07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

this is what I use, but I only have a few vines going.

auger anchor

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Daniel1980
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had some 1/4 round moulding left over and I cut 2' lengths and put a small wood screw at the top to attach the twine. I started with the jute gardening twine from Lowes....it broke this past sat. I spent a couple hrs re-hanging my 15' cascade. I would recommend using something a little stronger. I replaced it with the braided nylon line from my bow fishing setup. That won't be breaking I'm sure.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

I just use cheap 10" plastic tent stakes - I think they were $2.50 for an 8-pack - and insert them at an angle (around 20° from vertical, I'd guess). Over the years I've found the angle made the stakes less likely to pull out when I'm tying off the top of the drops...

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Our local stores had 28" garden stakes, they are just rubber coated iron or something with a closed hook at one end and a single long rod.

Getting them in that deep can be a giant PITA with a lot of trial and error finding a spot that wont hit a rock, but they arent going anywhere once they get in there which is good because two of them are supporting the ends of my run with 3 plants going up stringers to the top.

Quick Reply