The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pyramid Trellis in Southern California

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
t-bag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pyramid Trellis in Southern California

Hey I put this pyramid trellis together and my hops in last week. The cascade and Centennial are growing just barely out of the ground but my Mt.Hood and Sterling arent doing so good. my only concern about the trellis design is that when the bines get to the top they might want to keep going and get mixed. any suggestions? The Twine goes through eye screws at the top(one for each plant) which is about 12 1/2' high, and then is tied to a hook screw at the mid section of the pole. This way i can lower the bines at harvest time. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The design looks very good, especially with thoughts of lowering at harvest. You are right in your thiking that they'll tangle into a mess at the top. You'll need more height after this year.

When you say that they're not doing so good, what do you mean? They're not up yet, or they're up but not growing? Once they break ground and taste some sun and water it'll be on! I have plants of varying ages around here. I have stuff three feet up the rope to a new planting that has yet to break ground. I know that SoCal is quite a bit different from here weather-wise, but be patient.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
t-bag
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
The design looks very good, especially with thoughts of lowering at harvest. You are right in your thiking that they'll tangle into a mess at the top. You'll need more height after this year.

When you say that they're not doing so good, what do you mean? They're not up yet, or they're up but not growing? Once they break ground and taste some sun and water it'll be on! I have plants of varying ages around here. I have stuff three feet up the rope to a new planting that has yet to break ground. I know that SoCal is quite a bit different from here weather-wise, but be patient.
wow thanks. what i meant was that the mt.hood and sterling aren't out of the ground yet but after some reading i know that first year hops can take some time to get anywhere. thanks for the info.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would worry about them yet.. My second year Tet and Northern Brewer are chilling about 2 inches high and havent grown much in the past couple weeks with about 20-30 bines. The two of them just started growing upwards again since its been a bit more warm here in San Diego. 1st year Cascade is going nuts, but that is just how I hear Cascade is...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the hops reach the top, you can start to lower them so they have more room to grow. IN BYO there was an article where a guy grows them on a 6 ft stake in a pot and as they get to the top, he just lets out more string. The bines lay on the ground and it doesn't affect the growth according to the author.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Quick Reply