Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Purple Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #51
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a phosphorus (P) deficiency. Not usually caused by lack of P, but by cool temps. Cool temps in the root zone cause P to be locked up and not available for transport into the roots. Some plants (strains/cultivated varieties (cultivars)) are more susceptible to this than others, which is why you see it more in some plants than others, even when they share the same envirinment. Cool temps above ground can have an effect as well.

It can be caused by pH being out of an accepted range as well, when P bonds to other ions in the electrolyte, those ions depending on which side of the scale you are off. If this is the case, you will see other deficiencies as well, and is a way to identify the source of the problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #52
iamdaph
Recipes 

Is Humulus lupulus an invasive species? If I plant these will they eventually spread and start to take out the native plant life? I love home brewing but I also love keeping an ecosystem running properly.

I'm not talking about the Japanese Hops, I asking about the hops rhizomes you can buy on the internet (Casscase, Nugget, etc...)

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #53
Oaky
Recipes 

Default hop invasion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdaph View Post
Is Humulus lupulus an invasive species? If I plant these will they eventually spread and start to take out the native plant life? I love home brewing but I also love keeping an ecosystem running properly.

I'm not talking about the Japanese Hops, I asking about the hops rhizomes you can buy on the internet (Casscase, Nugget, etc...)

You can expect that it will behave like most rhizomes - so it will pop out new shoots a short distance from the root crown. What many people do is to shovel around the plant seasonally to cut the further roots and dig the out (you can "clone" that way). Also - and perhaps easier, contain them with bricks, wood or some other underground barrier. they mostly go horizontal so cutting bands out of a garbage can that are 15" deep circles would likely prevent them from going beyond that.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #54
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
You can expect that it will behave like most rhizomes - so it will pop out new shoots a short distance from the root crown. What many people do is to shovel around the plant seasonally to cut the further roots and dig the out (you can "clone" that way). Also - and perhaps easier, contain them with bricks, wood or some other underground barrier. they mostly go horizontal so cutting bands out of a garbage can that are 15" deep circles would likely prevent them from going beyond that.
I've only ever run into Humulus japonica outside cultivation, and since lupulus wouldn't likely be able to reproduce sexually, it's not a great candidate for becoming an invasive. It's also dependent on us for a lot of water (though they do grow without watering, just not as well) and pest control. They do have pest problems...

Will it take over your yard? yeah, if there's enough light.

Marbles baby, marbles.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #55
hops4me
Recipes 

Default this buds for you

buds for you

Quick Reply