Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pruning Bines?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Tim_Hall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pruning Bines?

So I've been to Hallertau during the harvest and the Hopfenfest, so I've seen how these things are grown conventionally, and I know what I'm going to suggest here is totally unorthodox.

Anyone know if hops can be pruned into a 'shrub' like some other vining plants? Will pinching off tips encourage side growth, or just stop the bines altogether?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You will probably get some lateral growth, how much I don't know. However, you will probably get a limited crop and what you do get will get mold, mildew, fungus, or bugs from being so close to the ground. You prune back the leaves and stems from first 4 feet of the bine once it gets high enough to limit the impact of being near the ground for just that reason.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never pruned the main growth tip on purpose, however I have by accident. I never found it to be a good thing or beneficial in any way. I grow my hops on a fence and train the growing tips through the links so the more growth I can get the better. I never found the lateral growth to compensate for the vertical growth. That being said, I could envision someone with enough time and skill creating some sort of an orb out of fencing and training the growing tip around and around, wrapping the structure all the way until the growth covers it. But as Bensiff says, I would imagine mould and bugs could easily take over in such an environment due to the limited ability of air to flow through.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Tim_Hall
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I may just experiment with a couple of the bines, and try something more conventional with the rest. I don't think mold will be an issue (bugs maybe) as the plants are already elevated in a pot and they don't stay damp in my climate.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Perhaps you will have different sucess in tx than here. My buddy tried that last year on some of my bines because their cousin excels when u pinch em. On the 4 he pinched(pinched at about 5' off the ground) They did nothing for about 3 weeks before putting out 2 new shoots at the pinch and continued going up. However the pinched bines never got to 1/3 the height of the others. cones were smaller, and less of them.

Quick Reply