Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Propagating from Hop Cuttings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll be interested in up dates. I told someone this will work and he said I was wrong and neither of us could convince the other that one of us right. Help me proove I'm right!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #22
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 240

There's a lot easier ways to propagate hops rather than cuttings. The problem with cuttings, especially if you don't have a bench mister-like setup, is keeping enough moisture on the plants until they begin to throw roots. The only way a cutting can obtain moisture is that which you apply. Until it has roots it has to take in moisture through it's leaf surface.

If you have some established plants, I assume you do, all you have to do is to take an excess shoot that you were going to remove anyway and instead of letting it grow upwards, keep throwing soil on top of it. A few days later it will poke it's head up and again you nail it with more soil (or compost or whatever you have handy). After a week or so gently lift it and you'll see a whole bunch of little roots starting to form along the shoot. At this point, cut it back toward the crown and stick it in some soil. Waa-laa, you have a new plant.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #23
konrad
Recipes 

I stick my shoots in a glass of water and leave them in the window. About 75 percent of them grow roots. I stick them in a small pot till shoots get larger and then in the ground.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #24
oly884
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
I stick my shoots in a glass of water and leave them in the window. About 75 percent of them grow roots. I stick them in a small pot till shoots get larger and then in the ground.
This is about what I'm doing.

I've been taking about a 50/50 mixture of garden soil and peat moss in a cup, then saturating it with water then putting the clones in the soil then just leave it by the window sill. Out of the 10 I've tried, only 2 have died thus far.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
Jagdad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hops are one of the easiest plants to root from cuttintgs if you use the right techniques. Select a bine with fully expanded leaves about 1/8" dia. stem size with buds showing in the leaf axials. throw away the soft tip with small leaves. Cut the bine into single node cuttings (cut stem 1" above and below leaf set) and stick into propagating media up to leaf node. This node is the beginnings of the new crown. I bench mist every 10 minutes day/15 min. night with bottom heat @ 85 deg. F. for 1 week and then start cutting back the mist. No rooting chemical is required. I spray weekly with peroxide to control disease. 99% root within 2 weeks.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would be helpful to post some photos of the method, Jagdad.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
I'll be interested in up dates. I told someone this will work and he said I was wrong and neither of us could convince the other that one of us right. Help me proove I'm right!
Cuttings are the weakest way to propagate but it does work. Last year the wind tore my young Hallertau out. I stripped two nodes of it's leaves and with a stick, made a hole in the ground, jabbed the Hallertau in there and it's back this year - about as strong as if starting from a rhizome. In fact I did three cuttings - only one took.

It will look droopy for a while, keep it moist ..if it is working, the plant will perk up but will not grow much.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #28
Jagdad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This thread started with a question of if it were possible to prop hops by cuttings. Yup.
Is it easy? Yup. Us pros use it to maintain clean stock, eliminate virus/ disease, and to produce certified stock for establishing commercial hop yards June through November. (Try to find a rhizome then) We propagate 22 varieties currently by contract (yes , some are easier than others). We currently have over 5000 in production; with a capcity for 20m per month peak. So to say it isn't possible or weak is incorrect. This business is Hopping!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #29
JMaslar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdad
... to produce certified stock for establishing commercial hop yards June through November. (Try to find a rhizome in June)
Thanks for this; makes want to keep taking more cuttings. I am planning a big grow next year; possibly planting 100+ rhizomes next spring, and am trying to produce clipable root stock for that and not worried about any real hop harvest this year - other than from our established crowns.
We are working on opening up a nanobrewery with a 3bbl system. Our 10 gal pilot system is knocking out batches while we file paperwork. I would love to be able to grow as many hops as possible for our small batch artisan beer. One of our workers/welders/assistant brewers/shareholders/(our chiropractor) has farm land he might give us to grow on.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #30
JMaslar
Recipes 

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

Here is a cutting that I took about 2 weeks ago that I transplanted into a 18 gallon pot today. It had a great root mass in the peat moss pot I use and looks like it will grow strong. (This is 1 of 2 plants moved outside to buckets).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1181690&type=1

This is a few more clippings I transplanted today to larger peat moss pots; these are super easy to move to larger containers without disrupting the roots. I slice the pots open at the bottom to allow easier breakdown of the moss in the larger planter.

I only grow in containers currently, and the ones at the brewery (2nd years, also 18 gal containers). Along in the outer edge, where the soil meets the plastic wall, shoots grow up, and it is a super easy spot to take cuttings from. I can pull back the soil, cut all the way back to the white root, and transplant. I plan on keeping up with planting these cuttings for the rest of the grow season. I will do as many as I can cut and propagate.

Reason: Photos

Quick Reply