Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Propagating from cuttings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
buzzkill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it will work brother. just keep the cutting out of direct sun light for about a month. once they get the roots going.....its on!

and take a bunch of cuttings,some wont make it.

you may need to go dig out all them old copies of high times for tips.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

".... I can imagine selling green leaved plants as opposed to the dead looking rhizomes we order now...."
Makes sense!

Myself, I have bought at least one of every other plant I ever came across in a nursery!

R. W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)

POSTS/ARTICLES on Gunny G's..
http://www.GunnyG.wordpress.com
and....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/578302/
and....
GyG BEER....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/605099/

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #23
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
... I took two, dunked the base 2-3" in rooting hormone, and stuck them in potting soil...
Ahhh, root hormone. Reminds me of my college days and messing around with hops closest relative.

Heros are made 10 gallons at a time.

Kegged/On Tap - Double IPA
Conditioning - Orange Ale

Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So, would an aspirin water dip be good prior to planing into a growbed? Maybe with a touch of bleach in it? I have heard that a little bleach water is good for use on razors/scissors/root cuttings for cleaning the surface. Just curious.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #25
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

garden books will tell you to clean cutters with bleach so you dont spread nasties from plant to plant.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Of my starts I am down to one surviving. The one I tried in a cup of water blew out while I was away for a long weekend and it spent several days sitting out on the pavement in the hot sun. One of my two starts in potting soil also died. It survived for many weeks but never sent out any growth. Just slowly died. I'll pull it this weekend and see if it had started any roots.

My one survivor continues to do well. It has added about 6" of new growth though it is growing nowhere near as fast as a plant started from a rhizome. I'll transplant it in a bigger pot this weekend. Hopefully it will be in good shape for next year.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #27
ahansler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you cover you cuttings with a mini green house and keep it humid you will get a better survival rate. The cuttings have no root system to draw water so the only way they can get it is from the air. Keep the cover on, out of the sunlight and mist every couple hours.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
I literally pulled un-needed bines from the dirt and stuck them in another part of the planter and surrounded them with dirt. On another plant I just stuck the bine into the ground near the lake. Both bines had some rootlets growing from the underground portion of the bine. They drooped for a few days, then resumed growing. I potted them and gave them to eriktlupus last weekend. I'm not familiar with your system, but they WILL grow without cutting, shaving, or anything special.
I did pretty much the same thing on a 2nd year plants:

1) I pulled up on an unneeded bine, dug back till I got some of the hair-like roots, then cut and transplanted.

2)cut another bine off at ground level-it was about 18-24 inches tall; buried it 6-8 inches deep.

Both methods have stayed viable/healthy; they are over 4 feet now. The option 2) method, went into a little bit of shock/browning but recovered.

Also, two years ago, I dug up a rhizome that never grew very well and tilled around it, and transplanted a better variety into the same hole. Some "piece" of the old root ball must have remained, because that spot has two distinct varieties growing there now.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 06-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #29
gunnyg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Speaking of Propagation....

Speaking of propagation...

I find this thread interesting and informative.

For instance, I recall one post/response (maybe not this thread) where the writer claimed that when one of his plants withered and apparently died that he dug up the remains to examine....and there was no rotted rhizoome to be found, etc.
Notwithstanding the naysayers, yes, I have experienced this too.

Last year, about November or December, I guess it was, my two (Chinook and Nuggett) plants were dying out and/or had few green leaves left. I took a handful of cuttings and stuck 'em in pots, and a few in a glass of water. Some of those in water grew roots.

Recently one of the Nugget cuttings, now buried in a pot, sprouted. It was one of those (non-existent, according to previous reports) bines that was growing double from the base up, although the tip had not been damaged. Sprouted about a month ago and is now about 6' tall. Still in the pot (about a 14-incher).

Also, I have two 1st-year rhizomes (Sterling) in the ground that have done good since planting in early March. But lately the bines just withered and I cut them away as it was obvious they were well on their way out. No new sprouts appeared quickly enough to curb my impatience, so yesterday I dug 'em up for a look-see. I expected to find the two bines rotted out or at least partially so.

Surprise, the two large bines--I had forgotten how large they were to begin with--were as healthy as last March when I planted them. And they now had several roots about a foot long. But no sprouts at all. I re-dug the hole, added some more perlite, etc. and planted them again. I expect they will eventually be growing again.

The Chinook cuttings from last year?--they had never sprouted at all in the pot--so I removed the cuttings and one long rhizome-kinda root I had also placed in there, again, expecting to find rotted stuff--not so, nothing rotted, but except for some very small additional roots showing they seem to be happy just enjoying life in that pot as is.

The mysteries of hops.
Take it or leave it.

R. W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)

POSTS/ARTICLES on Gunny G's..
http://www.GunnyG.wordpress.com
and....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/578302/
and....
GyG BEER....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/605099/

Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #30
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

HOPS UPDATE: The cascade I started from a cutting this spring is growing in a pot and is about 7 feet tall. Even more amazing is that today I saw burrs. I cannot beleive it is going to produce cones!

Quick Reply