Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Propagating from cuttings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A friend of a friend of a friend used to root cuttings by using a new razor blade to cut the base end at a 45* angle, and then scraping only the green outer layer of the stem, up about 1". Then the end is stuck into rooting hormone with a fungicide, and put into soil of a pot.

Removing the outer 1" gives the cutting that 1" of area to sprout roots, or they tend to be only fro the end where it is cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good to know. I am really getting worried about my hops not coming up. I feel I need to start them elsewhere next time before moving them into my system. Rhizomes were difficult to plant and I have never had the best luck with them, but I could get one to grow in the ground and take cuttings, that would do very well.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
WortMonger

Recipes 

Ok, we have Cascade coming out of the ground in two places on the rhizome I planted. Now what to do?

Decisions, decisions. The first thought is, I was hoping to just take a bine cutting and strip away a little or the stem with hormone treatment like Henry Hill talked about, taking a few of the bottom leaves off as well. Something organic and worm eatable would be used to plant the cutting into my aquaponic system (I'm thinking those netted-expandable peat moss things, you know you add the water and it grows in the net). This protects the new plant and delicate roots from the gravel in the grow-beds I use, as well as wicks water to maintain constant moisture on the new plant. The bine should then root and eventually outgrows the temporary planting medium.

Or, I could cut the rhizome in half and dig up one half for replanting in the aquaponic system, being very careful with the roots. This idea seems easier to me, what do you guys think?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I got nothing- I'm a soil farmer.

Stuff I refferrred to is called Rootone
Rotting Hormone with Fungicide.

I would not introduce this to a System, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Ok, we have Cascade coming out of the ground in two places on the rhizome I planted. Now what to do?

Decisions, decisions. The first thought is, I was hoping to just take a bine cutting and strip away a little or the stem with hormaone treatment like Henry Hill talked about, taking a few of the bottom leaves off as well. Something organic and worm eatible would be used to plant the cutting into my aquaponic system (I'm thinking those netted-expandable peat moss things, you know you add the water and it grows in the net). This protects the new plant and delicate roots from the gravel in the grow-beds I use, as well as wicks water to maintain constant moisture on the new plant. The bine should then root and eventually outgrows the temperary planting medium.

Or, I could cut the rhizome in half and dig up one half for replanting in the aquaponic system, being very careful with the roots. This idea seems easier to me, what do you guys think?
That is a tough decision to make WM, my thinking is if you cut the rhizome in half, the trauma will be too great for the rhizome to recover, it probably will have very few roots at this stage, on the other hand they are tough buggers, it might make it, its your call dude, I will be interested to see what happens whichever way you do this, good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have great sucsess with my cuttings. they do need to be planted in the shade the first year or the sun will just burn them up.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
WortMonger

Recipes 

Hmmm, This isn't good news about the rhizome halving. I will probably just do the cutting and root direct into my system with no hormone or anything. This is kinda what my aquaponic thread grow is for anyways. The peat moss would stay very wet around the cutting. Do you guys think this might maybe do ok? I mean from what I am reading some of the cuttings planted similarly do make it.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I literally pulled un-needed bines from the dirt and stuck them in another part of the planter and surrounded them with dirt. On another plant I just stuck the bine into the ground near the lake. Both bines had some rootlets growing from the underground portion of the bine. They drooped for a few days, then resumed growing. I potted them and gave them to eriktlupus last weekend. I'm not familiar with your system, but they WILL grow without cutting, shaving, or anything special.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #19
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
I literally pulled un-needed bines from the dirt and stuck them in another part of the planter and surrounded them with dirt. On another plant I just stuck the bine into the ground near the lake. Both bines had some rootlets growing from the underground portion of the bine. They drooped for a few days, then resumed growing. I potted them and gave them to eriktlupus last weekend. I'm not familiar with your system, but they WILL grow without cutting, shaving, or anything special.
You are correct sir, they will grow from extra bines that sprout, but, he is talking about a rhizome he just planted, and just sprouted, I stand by my assumption that if he cuts it in half at this early stage it will not recover, but its WM's call, good luck.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #20
WortMonger

Recipes 

No, I'm totally leaning toward just razoring the bine close to the ground and trying to root that. If this turns out easy then man! I will be talking to a local greenhouse that is half full due to no business. I am wanting to try out a business venture with hops and rhizome sales in the future. I would like to know if you can take a large bine and clip it into segments for rooting like the bine sprouts we are talking about. That is where I would really like to test. I can imagine selling green leaved plants as opposed to the dead looking rhizomes we order now.

Quick Reply