Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pressure treated lumber for hop trellis??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Hops are bines, not vines. They attach by winding and non-penetrating spikes. Vines attach by rooting into the wood and might absorb the treatment, but not hop bines.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4822 Times on 4426 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsargo View Post
Wow. 5+ years ago, when I built my raised bed veggie garden, the Home Depot folks didn't know their heads from their asses about this, so I just stayed away from the green treated lumber. You positive the green stuff today is CCA-free?
5+ years ago NOBODY knew **** about what was coming as the fasteners on market weren't compatible with the new proposed chemical solutions. A MAJOR concern for the housing and construction industry since every wood framed building has treated sills on every wall.

According to EPA laws, CCA is strictly prohibited except in very specific applications. Google it if you still don't believe.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
jpass00
Recipes 

I have worked for a wood treating facility now for 10 years. We still are able to treat wood with CCA. ( copper Chromium and Arsenic ) We can treat wood for agricultural use with CCA. Wood being used for playgrounds, decks, picnic tables, and anything that may be coming in contact with humans with MCA. ( Micronized Copper Azole ) We have been selling wood treated with CCA lately to new hop farms that have been starting up here in the northern part of Michigan. The comercial hop farmers here know they are getting CCA and dont seem to be concerned about. My professional opinion, and from what I have done at my own home, I see no problem with using pressure treated lumber in a garden or agricultural setting. That is just my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. If you have any question about treated lumber feel free to ask me. I will do my best to answer your questions.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
jpass00
Recipes 

As far as for fasteners, there is some treatment chemicals on the market that will eat thru a standard fastener. You can tell if there is a concern when you by the lumber. On all treated lumber there is suppose to be a small 1" x 2.5" tag on the end of all boards. Look at this tag and look at the name of the chemicals being used. If anywhere on the tag it states there is Quaternary ammonium (Quat) you need to use a double dipped galvanized fastener.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
jpass00
Recipes 

Just to say it again. CCA ( copper Chromium and Arsenic ) is still widely used today in the wood treating industry. There is just regulation in place on where you can use it.

Quick Reply