Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Please clarify

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

First year hop grower here with a question. I've been reading conflicting info and just need to be clarified. I have planted 8 hop crowns, all are producing 4-6 bines each, tallest being around 8 inches so far. I've read to choose the strongest bine from each plant and train to the wire. I've also read to let all of the bines grow to full potential the first couple years. My question, being that I planted crowns and not rhizomes do I still let all the bines grow? If so do I train all the bines to grow vertically? Thanks, just want to do it all the right way.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

From a rhizome, you would let everything grow the first year to stimulate root production.

From a crown, its your call. If you think it needs the extra sunlight to grow a bigger crown, let them go...understanding that you will probably get a lower yield. If you really want to get something this year, I would train 4 or 5 of them. That will still give you plenty of root growth, too.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan
From a rhizome, you would let everything grow the first year to stimulate root production.

From a crown, its your call. If you think it needs the extra sunlight to grow a bigger crown, let them go...understanding that you will probably get a lower yield. If you really want to get something this year, I would train 4 or 5 of them. That will still give you plenty of root growth, too.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks for answering.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Quick Reply