Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Planting With Marigolds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
BobboVR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've too noticed Japanese Beetles. They munched the token sacrificial rasberry bush at one end of my yard, and found their way to the cascades.

I discovered my local stores carry Japanese Beetle traps. These actually work great. I was actually very pleased with how effective they are. In fact, while setting the trap up, the Japanese Beetles were coming to me in the yard. I had a few in the trap before I even got it hung up.

Just make sure you set the traps up away from your protected plants. It will indeed draw them towards where the trap is hanging. I placed 2 in my yard, and both are rather full of bugs after a week's time. Haven't seen a single one on the hops since.

B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4603 Times on 4506 Posts
Likes Given: 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboVR6 View Post
I discovered my local stores carry Japanese Beetle traps. These actually work great. I was actually very pleased with how effective they are. In fact, while setting the trap up, the Japanese Beetles were coming to me in the yard. I had a few in the trap before I even got it hung up.

Just make sure you set the traps up away from your protected plants. It will indeed draw them towards where the trap is hanging. I placed 2 in my yard, and both are rather full of bugs after a week's time. Haven't seen a single one on the hops since.
And all the beetles that don't make it into the traps eat everything into the area. The trap bags can also fill up. And they attract the beetles from all of your neighbors as well, so I am sure your neighbors are happy!

If you are going to put a trap up, you are going to have a lot of grub larvae going into the ground, so you had better treat it with Imidicloprid and/or Chlorantraniliprole to kill those grubs in the late summer and first sign of spring.

As for companion planting, there were some extensive threads on that from this spring and here is a link to a nice spreadsheet maintained by fattymatty:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...Xc&hl=en#gid=0

Having a full array of companion plantings is key to trying to maintain a healthy balance in the garden.

For japanese beetles specifically, while I get some hop munching like everyone else, I find they prefer my butterfly bush, birch tree, and especially my pole beans over the hops. They haven't even bothered my raspberries yet with those others to distract them.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've had the Japanesse beatles on my marigolds, but they have thankfully left my hops alone...so far.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Quick Reply