Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Picking 2013 hops in Tulsa, OK (pictures heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
billye1982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That is awesome. I am in Tulsa too, hope they turn out great when you use them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Round 2!

Went back this morning hoping I could get all the Columbus.

Man, was I wrong. Those things are loaded. I only wound up getting a few feet wide worth of the trellis - maybe the left 5 feet, of about 25 feet.

Huge harvest this morning - I had to stop when my shopping bag got full. Weighed it at the house - over 24 ounces!

I definitely picked these a bit more 'wet' than I did the Cascades. The Cascades last week were entirely papery, and these were more papery just on the outside. But, they were starting to brown, and smelled right. This is where I lose a bit of confidence - I have no idea if I picked these too early, or picked the Cascade too late, or what.

*shrugs

On to the pics!

2013-07-13-09.51.36.jpg   2013-07-13-09.52.07.jpg   2013-07-13-10.46.16.jpg   2013-07-13-10.57.02.jpg   2013-07-13-11.03.28.jpg  

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
okhipfan
Recipes 

That is awesome! I'm having trouble figuring out which hops are which in my garden(forgetting where I planted each). I have three rhizomes - Cascade, Chinook, & Nugget. One is in full bloom, another is blooming slowly with smaller hops, and the third is just now budding. Any thoughts on which is which?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got another batch this morning - starting to get more Centennials, I'm not sure why they took so much longer than the other 2 to start producing.

I'm going to brew a beer to showcase them tomorrow:
4lb Wheat
4lb 2-row
8oz Amber Malt
1oz hop mix @ 30min
2oz hop mix @ 5min
1 pack safale S-05

I'll let you know in a couple weeks what kind of contribution I get.

I used some in my last batch, but the german yeast overpowered them, and I don't get anything other than some smooth bitterness.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #15
The10mmKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by okhipfan View Post
That is awesome! I'm having trouble figuring out which hops are which in my garden(forgetting where I planted each). I have three rhizomes - Cascade, Chinook, & Nugget. One is in full bloom, another is blooming slowly with smaller hops, and the third is just now budding. Any thoughts on which is which?
This manual from USA Hops has some pretty good cone pics:
http://www.usahops.org/graphics/File...%207-24-12.pdf

'da Kid

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour View Post
Got another batch this morning - starting to get more Centennials, I'm not sure why they took so much longer than the other 2 to start producing.

4lb Wheat
4lb 2-row
8oz Amber Malt
1oz hop mix @ 30min
2oz hop mix @ 5min
1 pack safale S-05

I used some in my last batch, but the german yeast overpowered them, and I don't get anything other than some smooth bitterness.
great pictures! My centennials (2nd year) are also very slow. My columbus and cascade have burrs and cones, but nothing on the centennials. Dont know if this is normal, but your experience has made me feel a little better!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm starting to have some issues with this years harvest.

I've gotten in the habit of heading over to my folk's house every weekend, and picking hops for about an hour. However, with the three varieties intermingled, and with varying weather conditions, I'm having a whale of a time making sure I only pick hops that are "ready".

I'm discovering my cascades are a bit finicky - if I pick them too soon, I'm getting a vegetal aroma from them, and if I pick them too late they are giving me a cheesy aroma. In addition, it seems like a second round of hops is on the vine, and those are nowhere near ready.

I've mentioned the centennials before, how they are ready much later, and I'm just starting to get into harvesting them. However, they're a bit of a trick as well. As large as some of these centennial cones are, I need to pick them before they completely dry, or they get "cheesy" as well (as they brown). However, I'm getting a STRONG vegetable/vegetal aroma out of them once they are dried in the dehydrator - even though they all smelled great as I picked them.

I'm aware that Oklahoma is not exactly prime hop growing country, so you could say I've brought some of this on myself. With that said, I know I'm capable of getting high quality hops, because some of what I've picked and dried has been absolutely amazing. The problem is, I'm having such a hard time with the fact that hops that are right next to each other on the trellis may be at completely different stages of being ready.

The thing that really bothers me is this vegetal smell - I have to believe that some of the hops I picked were too young, but I honestly don't know which ones. Since I'm picking and drying these in batches, and they are all getting mixed together, I'm worried that these "vegetal" hops that are mixed in will ruin the rest of these great hops I picked. Their smell is definitely overpowering.

I'm definitely still learning. Getting a bit frustrated, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
Gary22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour

4lb Wheat
4lb 2-row
8oz Amber Malt
1oz hop mix @ 30min
2oz hop mix @ 5min
1 pack safale S-05

Been tagging along on this thread. Being new to brewing, the growing hops thing is pretty interesting to me. Anyway, I'm curious to know how the beer turns out. Keep us updated as much as possible. With some pix of ur brew too

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary22 View Post
Been tagging along on this thread. Being new to brewing, the growing hops thing is pretty interesting to me. Anyway, I'm curious to know how the beer turns out. Keep us updated as much as possible. With some pix of ur brew too
The beer will turn out hoppy, of course! Seriously though it will turn out well but there are some "issues" with home grown that you do indeed run into.

First off, you don't really have a good handle on your AA's so using them for bittering is a bit of a crapshoot. I grow Columbus, among others, but typically only use them for flavor and aroma additions due to not knowing their bittering potential.

Second issue I have run into is that hops pick up aroma and flavor components from their environment; the air and soil they are in. This can change the final flavor of your beer. So what I typically do with homegrown hops is brew harvest ales and beers that are specifically designed for my hops, versus using, say, a clone recipe.

Third issue is quality control. As you may have read above, timing the picking of your hops does indeed effect the quality and usability of the hops. Only time and experience teach you what to expect with each variety you grow.

Hop varieties for the home grower or limited; your not going to get your hands on Citra, Galaxy, or Simcoe. But if you like the three C's, or Mt. Hood, or Nuggest, or Sterling, then you can grow them and use them in your brewing.

Other issues, like pests and molds, do happen as well.

For me at least, growing hops is a fun thing I do to add to my brewing pleasure. I don't do it to save money or to make a unique beer, I do it for fun. I like breaking out a beer for a friend, having them praise it, and telling them that I grew the hops.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #20
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, wound up pulling a sample of my backyard wheat ale this evening while I kegged it.

It's still a bit yeasty, and flat, but I think it'll be a solid beer. 1.047 dropped to 1.007 for 5% ABV, but it tastes very smooth and light. A very clean bitterness that's not out of proportion, not a ton of hop flavor but some lemony notes (I expect to get more once the yeast drops out entirely), very light and tart overall.

I think it's going to be a good beer, but definitely an odd one. It tastes somewhere in between a Boulevard Wheat and Sierra Nevada Pale ale.

I'll get a better tasting on it in about a week, when it's carbed and clear.

Quick Reply