New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Pesticides??




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
12hunt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 4
Default Pesticides??

Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.



__________________
12hunt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: north atlanta
Posts: 1,021
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I hear of guys using it, but you have to stop at least 20 days prior to harvest to be able to safely use hop cones.



__________________
hoppymonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
lazybean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 185
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

__________________
lazybean is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: north atlanta
Posts: 1,021
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
Try Tobacco juice, i have found it works really good. It doesnt seem to kill everthing in the garden but really helps control them to the point of it not being a problem. I will also do the Beer trap to get the slugs/snails, which was just talked about in the Slug thread.

How to make tobacco juice.

Now that is cool. I have a issue with something eating mine now and I think i'll give it a try.
__________________
hoppymonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
lazybean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 185
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

IF you can find Chewing tobacco(un-flavored) or cigars, they have less chemicals used to make them, and make a better Juice to me.

__________________
lazybean is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
JeffHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gervais, Or.
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hunt View Post
Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.
Sevin Kills everything including Honey Bees. Not Good and not labeled for Hops in the commercial end. Google: Provado
__________________
JeffHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 27,338
Liked 4544 Times on 4452 Posts
Likes Given: 1789

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hunt View Post
Hello to all, new to the forum! Also fairly new to hop growing in my second year. We have a ton beetles and other insects which devistated my plants last year. I was wondering if Sevin is a safe pesticide to use on the plants? I know no pesticide is truly safe but not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help.
If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.
__________________
Randar is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
marms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
IF you can find Chewing tobacco(un-flavored) or cigars, they have less chemicals used to make them, and make a better Juice to me.
So your saying if i spit my chew on my plants, its good for them?!?
__________________
marms is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
JeffHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gervais, Or.
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marms View Post
So your saying if i spit my chew on my plants, its good for them?!?

Nicotine was the go to chemical back in the "old" days!
__________________
JeffHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
12hunt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
If you want good suggestions you need to do a little more research and ask about controlling specific insects. With plenty of companion plantings in my garden, I don't end up using any pesticides on my hops and only nuke the Japanese beetles in the ground (same with slugs, but I use sluggo). I try to limit topical application to as small an area as possible, and this is true on everything from hops to broccoli to peaches.
First of all thank you to everyone for the suggestions!!! Kinda like the tabacco idea will research this!

Randar I have checked into the companion plants just seemed a little overwhelming. My problem that I run into with the yard apps is that I would need to cover more than an acre ( i think) of yard still leaving 2 acres uncovered think I would be spinning my wheels. Not sure though maybe only covering one portion would be sufficient???


__________________
12hunt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pesticides and Hops? Aleforge Hops Growing 0 05-14-2008 01:21 PM