Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > pest control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
kellanv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester
So my mother suggests just some dish soap diluted with water in a spray bottle. She says she uses it on all of her vegetables. Although my bines haven't flowered yet, I'm not comfortable using soap because of the threat of a lingering taste or smell. I thought about just spraying my bines with star san. Anyone else try this?
I definitely would not spray starsan. It is acidic and could damage and or kill the hops foliage. The idea behind soap is that it will block the breathing systems of pests with exoskeletons and kill them. It will not work on caterpillars however.

Insecticidal soap will wash off no problem fyi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester View Post
So my mother suggests just some dish soap diluted with water in a spray bottle. She says she uses it on all of her vegetables. Although my bines haven't flowered yet, I'm not comfortable using soap because of the threat of a lingering taste or smell. I thought about just spraying my bines with star san. Anyone else try this?

Whatever you do... DO NOT DO THAT!! You will kill your hops. Get 1 table spoon of dish soap(a kind without bleach), Ive been using Ajax, and mix that with water and fill a spray bottle. In the evening spray them down, especially the undersides of the leaves. While its still in a vegetative state it should be fine. There are many reputable sources you can get with a quick google search recommending the method and its safety.

On a similar note.... im in the middle of a viscous white fly battle of devastating proportions with my tomato right now. So far my hops are pest and insect free but id like it to keep it that way as they just started filling with cones. What is a good backup if the flies build a resistance to the dishsoap method? And is the soap bad to use once the bines are flowering, if so whats safe to use?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing

Whatever you do... DO NOT DO THAT!! You will kill your hops. Get 1 table spoon of dish soap(a kind without bleach), Ive been using Ajax, and mix that with water and fill a spray bottle. In the evening spray them down, especially the undersides of the leaves. While its still in a vegetative state it should be fine. There are many reputable sources you can get with a quick google search recommending the method and its safety.

On a similar note.... im in the middle of a viscous white fly battle of devastating proportions with my tomato right now. So far my hops are pest and insect free but id like it to keep it that way as they just started filling with cones. What is a good backup if the flies build a resistance to the dishsoap method? And is the soap bad to use once the bines are flowering, if so whats safe to use?
Organocide. I use it oneverything.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a PYRETHRUM spray. It's organic, works fast and breaks down quickly.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Glad to see I have 2 secret weapons in case these damn flies get ballsy. If they even consider going for my hops theyre gettin nuked lol. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
kellanv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid
I use a PYRETHRUM spray. It's organic, works fast and breaks down quickly.
Pyrethrum is organic and does break down rather quickly but it is extremely lethal to bees and other beneficials. Also, using tobacco tea is organic in nature but you may want to look into neonicotinoid pesticides and their track record with bees. Those pesticides have been largely linked to colony collapse and that is exactly what tobacco tea is.

Just need to put my two cents out there. As a beekeeper and gardener I see the effects of broad spectrum pesticides pretty regularly. Identifying the specific pest and using targeted treatments is a lot better in the long run!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
jessox80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester View Post
Very faint soap dilutions are fine; I spiked mine last year with cayenne and it worked on the first or second application. Just be careful about applying during full sun.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569 View Post
Organocide. I use it oneverything.
I did some reading and found a lot of mixed reviews on this stuff. Since you say you put it on everything im assuming its either working, or at the very least not hurting your plants?

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing

I did some reading and found a lot of mixed reviews on this stuff. Since you say you put it on everything im assuming its either working, or at the very least not hurting your plants?
Correct. It's effectiveness usually last at least 3-7 days and has not harmed any hops, tomatoes, peppers, roses or any other vegetable/flower.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
thantos

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, here is my two cents worth, I have two things I grow, Hops an Roses. I seem to have a terrible aphid infestation in my yard for the roses and I never figured out what was eating my hop leaves, but once I tried this all my bug issues went away!.

My solution:
2 Tbl spoons Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbl spoons Ivory Liquid Soap
8 oz. Liquid Nicotine solution

Put this in a one gallon sprayer and fill the remaining with water, spray once a week or so. For the hops I spray until I see cones forming then stop, but I still spray around the base of the plants and probably the first three feet.

The nicotine solution is made up of 1 bag of "Redman" chewing tobacco. I take two old 2 liter plastic soda bottles and wash them out and then put half the bag of chewing tobacco in each and fill with warm water and let sit in the sun for a day.

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Quick Reply