New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Paper bag drying technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
roastquake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Paper bag drying technique

So I've been growing for 3 years now and so far I've been drying hops by leaving them on a wire rack hanging next to a window at room temp. My step-father-in-law keeps telling me about how he dries herbs and such, by putting them in a brown paper bag and setting them in the rear windshield of his truck for a day. He says it works fast and to try it on hops, what do y'all think? keep in mind I'm in SC where it's hot and humid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
GVH_Dan

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 14

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do it. Not even for the herbs, depending on what they are to be used for.

Long story short, what do you want from your hops? Bittering (alpha acids) and flavor (oil). Alpha's don't degrade until you hit 140F, so you are probably OK there. Plus, most people don't know the alpha level of homegrown hops, so they use them for dry hopping or at least late addition.

What's the boiling point of the oils in hops? Some are below 100F. Putting them in a hot truck will evaporate a lot of those.

Additionally, when the hops dry, where does the moisture go? Into the bag? No, it goes into the air. So if you put them in the bag, that restricts the amount of air can get to them to remove the moisture. Plus you are locking them up in a relatively well sealed up truck that will hold onto that moisture. When it cools off that night, all the moisture will condense on the windows and run all over the dash. Hops hold A LOT more moisture then most herbs.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Cyclman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 105

+1, excessive heat can oxidize your delicious hops. Cool and lots of airflow, a couple of days they'll be dry.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
B-Hoppy

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Hey Dan, I think they have rules about too many capitol letters in a row on the internet. I'm no expert but just a heads-up, you seem like a nice guy and I wouldn't want the internet police busting you. I do what I can~

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

GVH_Dan Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
GVH_Dan

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 14

D'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I WOULDN'T WANT THE Internt police AFTER ME!

Thanks for the warning.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 106

THANKS Y'ALL! I was already kind of suspect of it but didn't want to give up on the idea, now I know. I'm considering a food dehydrator now, I've seen threads where people use them

Quick Reply