Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > ordered more rhizomes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

I got 4 Cascade from Freshops and they didn't take long at all to start sprouting. However, one of them is particularly energetic, and is already 3-4 times the size of the others. I am wondering how tall they have to be before I start training them up a stick. It's too early to plant outside here.

I'm estimating the big one is about 16-24" now.

What is odd, is that it's mostly stem, and few leaves. Not like some of the pics I've seen. Perhaps I need to give them more sun. It's been overcast the past few days, and likely the rest of the week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I ran out of spaces for mine. So I have two Goldings rhizomes that I think I'll pot up soon and see what I can get them to do.
I personally know that you can at least abuse them and keep them alive I bought a Chinook rhizome two years ago. This is supposedly also a good decorative variety. So my plan has been to put it in the front of our house behind the retaining wall that runs along the driveway. Well, that's been the plan for 2 yrs now........ Since then the poor chinook has been growing in a 1 gal pot. It hasn't made any cones, but it is still alive! We're just finishing up replacing the retaining wall so in the next couple of weeks the poor abused chinook will go in the ground. Now I need to build a small pergola over the garage for it to grow on. Otherwise it will just be some twine up to the roof.

So, if nothing else, it can be kept alive for several years until you find the proper spot. You might not get any cones and it will look scraggly. I actually intentionally kept it a bit shady so it wouldn't grow to much and need a lot of watering.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Rhizomes & hop plants are very dependent on soil temperature and each variety is different. I have a small forest of Cascades, but only one Sunbeam shoot and that just came out this week. Looking at some sun & warmer weather next week. I'll believe after the fact.

I start training mine around 3 feet, which is none of them yet.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply