Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > One hop rhizome DOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #11
OMBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am 2/2. I have an opportunity to plant 10 acres next year if I want to. I am looking into it, but at the current price of rhizomes that would be a lot of Jack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMBrewer View Post
I am 2/2. I have an opportunity to plant 10 acres next year if I want to. I am looking into it, but at the current price of rhizomes that would be a lot of Jack.
Yeah but even a modest yield would put you in the black.
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 06-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I planted 10 in pots. All were gowing well then I replated them outside. One (Saaz) did not like the move. In a month it has not changed. Has not got any bigger of smaller but the leaves have turned a little yellow. I don't have much hope fore it but I will leave it be and see what she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was 12 for 12, a rabbit liked one of the cascades, ate it down to the ground, I dont know if it will come back or not, but I am pleased to say the least.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger View Post
Probably a little late for them to be replacing them anyway, even if they were willing. Considering the rumors that hop rhizome orders increased by like 1000% this year because of the hop shortage, they must have been ridiculously swamped, so I don't fault the hop farms for sending out a dud rhizome every so often. I ordered 6, and had one 'twig', which I don't think is too bad a success rate.
When you order only 2 for $10 which were hand packed I do fault them if they send you out a dud from the start. If they are so short on quantity/quality rhizomes they should just state they are sold out. Now if you were buying bulk I could understand a twig or dud here or there.

I got my order last night and one type had long roots and the other what appeared to be twigs-no roots. On the good ones the roots were coming out of the bottom of the part that looked like a twig. I took a picture and emailed them just in case but I will plant and see what happens, of course it is possible one varity sprouts before another. My guess is just that, not that they sent me something dead.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
When you order only 2 for $10 which were hand packed I do fault them if they send you out a dud from the start. If they are so short on quantity/quality rhizomes they should just state they are sold out. Now if you were buying bulk I could understand a twig or dud here or there.

I got my order last night and one type had long roots and the other what appeared to be twigs-no roots. On the good ones the roots were coming out of the bottom of the part that looked like a twig. I took a picture and emailed them just in case but I will plant and see what happens, of course it is possible one varity sprouts before another. My guess is just that, not that they sent me something dead.
Finally got a response from the seller and he said the little white bumps on what appeared to be "twigs" was new roots growing and what I should expected to have received. That is what I thought but they were really small and rubbed off with easily, and no I didn't rub them all off I planted them. I guess what made me question this was the other had long roots (6-8") which did not look like new growth.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am assuming that most here are possibly newer to gardening than they are to brewing. Rule of thumb... NOT EVERYTHING YOU PLANT GROWS. Regardless of what you are planting, getting every plant you put in the ground to do something is unlikely. My largest fattest rizome with the longest roots is the one I had that didn't sprout, and I had two "twigs" that are 4-5 feet tall now.

The problem could have been anything from location to depth to soil composition, and every variety will need something slightly different. Go to the garden center and buy some seeds or bulbs and plant them... they won't all grow. Everyone should take care of what they have growing, learn something about gardening and hop growing, and choose the stronger/healthier varieties in our area for next year.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestuff View Post
I am assuming that most here are possibly newer to gardening than they are to brewing. Rule of thumb... NOT EVERYTHING YOU PLANT GROWS. Regardless of what you are planting, getting every plant you put in the ground to do something is unlikely. My largest fattest rizome with the longest roots is the one I had that didn't sprout, and I had two "twigs" that are 4-5 feet tall now.

The problem could have been anything from location to depth to soil composition, and every variety will need something slightly different. Go to the garden center and buy some seeds or bulbs and plant them... they won't all grow. Everyone should take care of what they have growing, learn something about gardening and hop growing, and choose the stronger/healthier varieties in our area for next year.
Assuming you are directing your response to everyone here in general, to my point was a grower should be able to pick and put a live plant in the box. It may die in shipping but it should be live when shipped. What you do with it afterwards and if it will live I agree, is difficult to determine the outcome. Usually rhizomes come with some developed growth even if dormant. In this case it was 2 sections (cut on both ends) not 1 root visable. My experience tells me the bumps were probably new roots just developing. My comment was in regards to one comment about the shortage and demand making it difficult for growers to assure live rhizomes. To me that is no excuse. By the way, I am 47 and have been gardening since I was able to dig a hole. My wife and I live on a 10 acres, 9 farm with 4 gardens including variuos trees. Our vegatble garden is about 30x75 with melons and pumpkins way in the back of the property (I even grow tobacco and cotton, tons of cactus) If I could afford it I would be a full time farmer, just can't afford the 300 acres+ needed or the equipment.
But I agree with you 100%

Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #19
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am only 3 for 6, I think I had 3 planted to deep at first. I have tried to salvage by replanting in pots, but no luck. Is there any chance to save them in the frig and try again next year?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #20
CatchinZs

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Correction:

The nugget that I thought was dead wasn't.

I was looking at it today and it must have sprouted sometime in the last few days.
Looks like it will be ok for next year.

Hops are some kinda crazy plant....

Quick Reply