Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > oh man, japanese beetles!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

alrighty then. Thanks!
I assume that you're using liquid sevin/carbaryl. So you're using it on your trees and your hops? Just wondering. I know it's a relatively safe insecticide.

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Had a bunch more of those little bastards on my Saaz last night. They completely destroyed a couple of leaves. After drowning them in some soapy water and removing the badly damaged leaves, I improvised a puffer out of a dish soap bottle for applying the Sevin dust. Actually didn't work too badly, though I need to work on my technique. I didn't have time to get the ladder out, but the plants are only 7-8 feet tall, so I just kinda blew some dust at the leaves at the tops of the plants. Hopefully it's enough to, at least, make the plants unappetizing for today. Guess we'll see.
BTW, does Carbaryl dust lose effectiveness over time? I've had this stuff in an open bag in the basement for a couple of years.

Chris

Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm using the liquid. I use a hose end sprayer so I can hit the top of my 30 ft cherry tree (hops too). I took a close look last night and was pleased to see a whole bunch of the little suckers on the ground dead.

If it was stored properly (cool and dry, no freezing) it should still be good. Liquids should never be allowed to freeze. Many of the liquid formulation are really emulsions and the freezing can make the components separate.

I think the respray interval is 7-10 days, sooner if there has been a lot of rain.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #24
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Ok then. Came home last night and there was only one beetle on one of my plants, so it looks like it worked. It was on the Crystal that is taller than the Saaz and I very well might not have done the best job of dusting. Broke out the ladder and gave them another shot. OF course, it rained last night, so I'm going to have to reapply.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #25
Pete0
Recipes 

I'm trying to grow grapes in PA. The Jap beetles would kill everything if left alone. Went to sevin. Bought concentrate , mixed in small sprayer , works great. They still have to take a bite ,but only one. Stands up to a few rains.Very cost effective. If you get on the beetles early you can cut down the numbers for next year as they feed, mate, then drop to the ground and lay their eggs on the spot. I wish these state funded universities would come up with something to eradicate these things in a more natural manner.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #26
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete0 View Post
I wish these state funded universities would come up with something to eradicate these things in a more natural manner.
That would be great if they can incorporate a Beetle resistant strain of each flavor right?

The top of my Fuggles leaves look like muslin cloth. I sprayed the bines with Sevin and it seems to have stopped the raid. I still see a few here and there. I am going to spray again. Funny thing is, across from the Fuggles are Cascade which seem to not have been bothered at all.

I know of one surefire way to rid them from your yard. Spread nematoads. Overtime they kill the grubs in your lawn which turn into hop eating beetles. Bait bags are bad news. They prmote more than they help. Diatonaceous Earth works well to but has to be dusted over several applications and rain washes it out.

Sevin seems to work well when in need and can be used up to one day of harvest (depending on solution).

I am glad to know that we all have these issues and that the beetles didn't just attack my crop. I guess they love hops just as much as I do.

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
BigHops
Recipes 

These Japaneese Beetles are a pain aren't they...My neem oil helps a little but main reason I like to use it is it's natural and harmless to consume..the seven and the ortho max on the other hand is not..I find that I need to use both products to achieve good results, but the thought of that stuff in my beer eats at me..

Today I shot some seven on 'em and some of my fruit trees because they where looking like swiss cheese..Turn your head for one moment and they will chow down...well any way back to my point when I was finished w/ the seven dust my hands burned a little and washed it off real good..then I looked at the bottle and seen all the warnings...

This stuff can't be good for us man...has to be a better "Organic" way of achiving results..

Bighops

Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #28
StepR
Recipes 

More on Nematodes
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...784474153.html

Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #29
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHops View Post
the seven dust my hands burned a little
Use liquid sevin in the hose end sprayer. Kills 'em in about 30 seconds.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I have been using a mix of water, redhot, garlic, and a little dish soap (as a wetting agent). Put it in a spray bottle and go to town. Re-apply after rains. Of course, it won't kill the beetles, but they sure don't seem to like the taste! My leaves looked like swiss cheese...the alpine lace variety with more holes than cheese! Before I started using it, I would take lots of beetles off every day. Since using it, I get maybe one or two beetles off a day. (the few little buggers that found the spots I missed with the spray, I suppose.) Anyway, I am hoping the leaves will heal, as I just started this method last week.

It definitely seems to work!

Quick Reply