Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > nutrient deficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
rgodin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nutrient Deficiencies?
Picture 1: Looks like a nutrient deficiency, depending on whether it is a younger leaf or older leaf could point to the specific deficiency. If this leaf is an older leaf (Macro nutrient deficiency) its probably a nitrogen deficiency. If its on a younger leaf near the top of the plant or one of the side arms (micro nutrient deficiency) probably iron or zinc deficiency (hard to tell this early short of a tissue test through a lab).
Picture 2: Looks like the after effects of two spot spider mite.
Picture 3: looks like advanced nitrogen deficiency but tough to tell from pic.
Picture 4: From this whole plant pic, it looks like you have both Macro and Micro nutrient deficiencies. Remedies: Fertilizer with balanced N-P-K (16-16-16 or 20-20-20 or something similar) will take care of the macro nutrient deficiencies (1/2 tsp per gallon every other watering).
For the micro nutrient deficiencies, you'll need to find a fertilizer with iron, manganese and zinc and apply as the directions say. These may not correct the existing problem but new growth should be a good green color. Small amounts of compost (1/2 inch over the top of soil) and watered in will also help. This will also help your rhizomes store nutrients of next year.
Cheers,
Ron Godin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
FrFtr28
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Any update on this? My leaves are starting to get the same purple color to them and I'm thinking I may have the same problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

For the mites you might try here: http://www.arbico-organics.com/categ...tors-parasites

For the fert you might try here: http://www.wormpoop.com/
Regards, GF.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrFtr28 View Post
Any update on this? My leaves are starting to get the same purple color to them and I'm thinking I may have the same problem.
To update, the leaf spotting was pretty much entirely from spider mite damage, and the yellowing on the healthier leaves seems like it was from a lack of nutrients. I've been regularly hitting the plant with a 20-20-20 fertilizer. I tried ladybugs but the ones I got locally were mostly dead in the container, and the few that were still alive wandered off within a few days. I went back to spraying with an alcohol-water solution. I also did a lot of pruning of the most heavily infested leaves. Any time a leaf turned more than 50% brown I pulled it off and disposed of it. Between the pruning and the spraying the spider mites seem to be under control now. A lot of the original growth on the plant is dying back, but I've gotten a lot of new growth around the base of the plant. Unfortunately all the baby hop cones I had in development have died, so I'm not expecting any harvest this year. It's a first year plant though so I wasn't expecting a lot.

FrFtr28, I didn't notice much purple coloring to my leaves. It may just be the pictures, but in person the leaves had more of a bronze color to them.

Quick Reply