New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Nuh uh, YOUR vacuum sealer sucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Nuh uh, YOUR vacuum sealer sucks!

I wasn't sure if this should go in hop growing or equipment/sanitation, so I'm sticking it here. With the impending hop harvest, people will be wanting something to store their precious hop cones in. Sandwich bags work alright for storage but removing all the air is even better!

I've been looking to get a vacuum sealer like a foodsaver, but most that I've found have been in the range of $200 or more. Back before The Unpleasantness I had a Deni vacuum sealer that cost $20 and it didn't work so well. The suction was poor, baggies didn't seal all the way sometimes and the baggies themselves were hard to deal with. So I ask you, O HBT residents. What kind of sealers do you have, how happy are you with it, and how much did it cost? As I don't actually have a yard for hops yet, I'll be using mine for more general purpose stuff like for bulk meat and other grocery items, and for storing items for my zombpocalypse survival kit.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I wasn't sure if this should go in hop growing or equipment/sanitation, so I'm sticking it here. With the impending hop harvest, people will be wanting something to store their precious hop cones in. Sandwich bags work alright for storage but removing all the air is even better!

I've been looking to get a vacuum sealer like a foodsaver, but most that I've found have been in the range of $200 or more. Back before The Unpleasantness I had a Deni vacuum sealer that cost $20 and it didn't work so well. The suction was poor, baggies didn't seal all the way sometimes and the baggies themselves were hard to deal with. So I ask you, O HBT residents. What kind of sealers do you have, how happy are you with it, and how much did it cost? As I don't actually have a yard for hops yet, I'll be using mine for more general purpose stuff like for bulk meat and other grocery items, and for storing items for my zombpocalypse survival kit.
http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/handi_vac/en/home.asp

$9.99 plus extra bags.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Buy the missus a foodsaver for Christmas! She'll love it!

We got one about a year ago. Around $100. Wifey loves it, won't stop saying so. She reckons it saves a good amount of money over time. Just don't tell her why you really bought her one.

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
I have that, and the bags don't hold their seal.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Food saver. If there are Target's around you, try there. We paid about 99 for ours a few months ago and it really works well. The bags are a bit pricey, but get the vacuum marinator and start taking advantage of it!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I got a food saver, and I KNOW I didnt' pay $100 for it. Maybe 50-60 I think.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
I have one of these and find it good for the price. Depending on what you're sealing, you have to be careful particles don't get caught in the "zipper" part or the bags won't seal properly. I modified mine by adding a power connector for a 9 volt power supply... 6 AAs is ridiculous.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
digunderground
Recipes 

+1 for homerT!!
+1 menschmaschine

DONT GET HOP PARTICLES / STUFF STUCK IN THE ZIPPER and you will be fine.

I use the Renolds wrap food saver vacuum system. Its cheap and it works well. I still have hops and grain from when I bought it, and its all still good.

-DIG

Last edited by digunderground; 08-01-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: someone posted a good comment b4 icould finish and I agreed

Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkensatyr View Post
Food saver. If there are Target's around you, try there. We paid about 99 for ours a few months ago and it really works well. The bags are a bit pricey, but get the vacuum marinator and start taking advantage of it!
Yeah, you can use he marinader and marinade in the bag too. They can really give a terrific boost to a nice juicy steak! Our foodsaver recently got promoted from the utility room to the kitchen because it's so useful.

The $100 one is the one that stores the bag roll in a compartment with a sliding cutter for the bags. Nice and tidy and more convenient than the cheaper version, which I'm sure works equally well. I guess what you want to pay depends on SWMBO's priorities on price versus convenience.

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I got a seal-a-meal from walmart for $40. Works fine. I'm a *little* disapointed with the bags bc it's kinda picky sometimes.....like if you store 1lb of hops in a qt bag and open it up to get some then reseal it your cut has to be almost perfect. But, the bags are pretty cheap as well. It's got an "accessories port" that I think I'm going to start using. I've seen the little tuperwares for it and I might pick some of those up to keep my hops in, it just seems less wastefull and easier to use. That or I'll look into the canning adapter and use ball jars.

Either way go with a cheap seal-a-meal

Quick Reply