Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > noob questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default noob questions

just picked my first crop of cascade hops...........per this site I thought i should have done it several weeks ago but time got away from me......i do not have a fan to dry the hops what are my other options.........they seam dry on the edges but they are still somewhat green

what would happen if i placed them in a baggie and placed them in the freezer? will that dry them out?

finally, if they are somewhat dry and i dry hopped with them what will happen....also what will happen if i add them to a boil.....will it make my beer taste like grass?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for the input and answers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Most people without a dehydrator or other means of drying use paper grocery bags. You need to keep them in a dry dark place, so a paper bag is perfect. Put about 5-6 (wet) ounces in each bag and shake them every time you go by them. After 3-4 days, they should be perfectly dry.

Don't put them in the freezer before they're dry...it won't be good for the hops.

If you use them in a beer when they are somewhat dry, it will turn out fine. It's called Wet Hopping. I usually do a wet hop beer every year once I pick my hops, before they dry. It won't taste grassy, but it will be a bit different from dry hops. More earthy, natural flavor.

Another HERMS rig...
munklunk Likes This 
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Brew
Recipes 

Default Thanks SC

That is what i needed to know.......I don't think i have more then 3-4 oz so one bag should work fine

Quick Reply