Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > No wining

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Only one possible explanation.... Global Cooling!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
my major gripe about growing in boston is that it is to wet. At first it was great, the squash and pumpkins loved it and I had more zucchini than I knew what to do with, now they are starting to rot on the vine because of all the extra moisture. Additionally I would normally be swimming in tomato sauce by this point in the year, so far I have only had 3 good ones off the vines, the rest keep getting a black mold on the bottom.
The black spots on he bottom is called "bloom end rot". I forget what you use for it. The preventative solution is to till lye into the soil. You can buy a spray on treatment that will put an end to it, just can't think of the name right now.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Hey David-sorry to hear that your have had such an off year for harvesting the Oregon deliacies. The hops around Portland have been pretty good (from my perspective -the few neighbors and myself who grow hops). The Blackberries were a bit late-but they are done here. I guess the valley is the agricultural mecca for a reason- the hills are unpredictable. There is always next year!

Tim

Quick Reply