Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > No smell, no fragrance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
HSM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default No smell, no fragrance

2nd year Cascades, I have a ton of cones all nice and big. None of them have any visible lupines and smell just like nothing. I tore a cone apart and deep in the center is a deposit of lupines. Are they just not ready yet? It's been dry and I water often.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They're not ready. Check out my blog on hops. It shows a picture of exactly how your hops should look when they're ready. I've been growing for 4 years now, and what some people call "a heavy hop smell" has been a faint odor for me. Some people have a better sense of smell I suppose.

Anyways... it's not all about the smell for me, but the feel. If they're light and papery, they're ready. A good trick is if you can drop them on a hard floor and they break apart, they're probably ready. That's not always true though. When you start seeing some of them turning brown, a majority of them are probably ready for harvest.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
ctheis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
2nd year Cascades, I have a ton of cones all nice and big. None of them have any visible lupines and smell just like nothing. I tore a cone apart and deep in the center is a deposit of lupines. Are they just not ready yet? It's been dry and I water often.
Sounds like you are a week or two from being ready. Once you start seeing luplin on the outside bracts and you can smell them and they get just a touch of brown on the bracts they should be ready to pick.

Cheers

Quick Reply