Nitrogen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
So I am 99% sure I have a nitrogen deficiency on my first year plants. Nothing too bad, just very light green on the new growth. I am wondering whether putting a few shovels of manure at the base followed by a thorough watering will be rapid enough to get them what they need. They are still at the point that they are growing well, but i'd rather get them back to 100%.

If you think that the manure would be a bit slow, what are some suggestions for a more rapid nitrogen delivery?

Fresh manure can be hard on plants unless you know what you are doing. Manure is best left for incorparation in spring/fall while the plant is not actively growing.

Pick up some 5-1-1 fish emulsion fertilizer, mix according to instructions in a spray bottle, and spray them heavily after the sun goes down. With that form of nitrogen, allegedly, the plant will only take what it needs so you don't have to worry about giving it too much, and it is taken in rapidly.

If you plant is 20 feet high, this might not be practical.

Also, stay upwind of the spray, you don't want that stuff on you. Mixing it makes me gag, I have to make my wife do it. But it worked wonders on my cascade, and my vegetable garden.

Back