Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > new member seeks advice on hops harvesting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Yabo72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default new member seeks advice on hops harvesting

Been brewing for a few years and just started growing hops. I have Cascade, Williamette and Goldings. This is my first harvest and I'm trying to do everything right. From everything I read it looks like they needed to be harvested. The Cascades grew incredibly fast and have developed a bumper crop and the Goldings were o.k. The Williamete haven't developed any cones yet. I am using a dehydrator to dry them out and am looking for any experienced advice on the following concerns: When to harvest, why do they even need to be dried and how to tell when they are at the optimal dryness. Also, should they be vaccum sealed and frozen and would it be advantageous to form plugs out of them.
Any help would be appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Plugs aren't needed. Optimal dryness to me is when they feel papery. You should be able to drop them on the floor from a few feet up and they'll break apart. I vacuum seal mine and put them in the freezer to keep them fresh longer.

Hops don't NEED to be dried out. I've done wet hop ales before with good success. But...if you don't plan on using them immediately, drying them is a good idea.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply