New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > New hops strands/types. How?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New hops strands/types. How?

There are so many new hops strands coming out, it makes me wonder how they do it. Would a homebrewer like myself be able grow my own strand? How would one go about this?

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Selective breeding and trial and error. Don't quote me but I think only like .1% (something like that) of all the seeds that are tested actually become a new hop strain. Disease resistance, growth pattern, yield, flavor, aroma, AAU, concentration of oils all play a part in if a certain strain will be used for further testing. Very difficult and in depth process imo.

Bottled:
Ereshkigal India Black Ale
Son of Ea India Amber Ale
Mauthe Doog India Brown Ale

Carboy:
Nothing atm

Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The problem with growing your own strain is that you need a male to pollinate your female plants. Then you get a different strain. But then you have to get rid of that male or all of your cones will be pollinated and they're not worthy of brewing with. It's not worth the effort.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Just wondering why seeded hops would not be worthy of using? I've used them quite a few times over the years and the beers came out fine.

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Bummer

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
TheMadHopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
There are so many new hops strands coming out, it makes me wonder how they do it. Would a homebrewer like myself be able grow my own strand? How would one go about this?
You sure could. It would take a lot of work but if you just follow basic principles botany then you could pull it off. I imagine a lot of home brewers already have
a slightly mutated or augmented strand that technically the hops in their back yard are different than your typical commercial ones. The thing is though, that you might be able to cross breed a few strands but would it really make much of a difference in the composition, habits, yield and durability of the old strands? Probably not. And if it did without all the hightec gear to test stuff you might never know

From what I understand a lot the new strands come from cross breeding modern commercial strands with wild hops or by selectively breeding wild hops until they are usable for brewing (high enough yield, enough AA output, taste, life span etc etc)

A few of the strans ive heard about are coming out of New Mexico and are all really old heritage hops that were brought over by the monks in the 1600s and are half wild.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hoppy View Post
Just wondering why seeded hops would not be worthy of using? I've used them quite a few times over the years and the beers came out fine.
Oh crap, somebody called me on it... I remember reading somewhere over the years that you don't want males around because pollinated cones aren't good for brewing. I'm not a botanist to know why, I just remember reading it. I don't remember any description of what physical changes you would see to know if your hops got pollinated or not.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

More than half the hops I get have seeds. That said, I almost only buy whole leaf as it's cheaper and there's more varieties available than pellets.

Quick Reply