Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > New hop trellis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
trigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New hop trellis

This is my first year growing hops, and I jumped in head first. I spent the day today constructing a hop trellis for the 3 rhizomes I planted about 3 weeks ago. I have chinook, cascade, and willamette. The trellis is doubled up 2x4x16 pt construction lumber screwed together with deck screws. I would have gone with 4x4's but they would have doubled the project cost. I ran 1/8" guy lines with turnbuckles to 3/8" rebar that I bent over to form a "u" from each end, and 1/8" cable from the base of each upright through pulleys to form the top line. They are secured with clips to eyebolts. To tension the top line I slacked the guys, clipped it in place, then tightened the turnbuckles. The uprights are 3' down and anchored with about 4 bags each of concrete, as well as being braced to the fence (this was going to be temporary while the concrete set, but I decided to throw some angle straps on there and leave the braces for a bit of additional support. The hops have 2 jute twine strings to climb per rhizome, and each string is about 15' tall.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 2760

Very nice! Why couldn't I have kept mine simple like that? LOL

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just be careful a sidearm doesn't make the jump to that wire. One of the wild patches I picked last year had completely swallowed a transformer on a power pole, having reached across 6' or so from the tree the bine grew up.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Quick Reply