Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > New to hop gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default New to hop gardening

I havent grown my own yet, but I am very interested in it. I have been doing a lot of reading on Pride of Ringwood and would love to use it as my first. Does anyone know where in the world I can locate it. I have found a few places online but they are all sold out for 2011.

That brings me to my second question. Is it too late in the season to be starting. I am in southern KY and the avg temp right now is mid 70's.

Primary: Speckled Heifer/Apfelwein
Secondary: Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1931 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1054

It's not too late to start if you can find some rhizomes. I've not seen that particular variety. If you do start this year, you will not get any cones to form, but at least you will have a leg up on next year. Get them in the ground and get the roots growing. Most varieties don't produce a useable amount the first year anyway.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Awesome thats what I was hoping. Pride of Ringwood is an Aussie strand that James Squire helped get going. Since I spent a good chunk of my childhood there I wanted to start growing some and making some Aussie beer. Im hoping to find a rhizome. Is it possible/legal to have them imported, like if I have a friend buy them there and send them over?

Primary: Speckled Heifer/Apfelwein
Secondary: Irish Red

Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm growing Pride of Ringwood. I likely got it from Thyme Garden.

My first year plant produced one or two dry ounces. Still in freezer. I was reading that the reason it isn't grown comercially in the states is because we don't have a long enough growing season for it. It's on my short list of "dig it up and put in a better plant". I'm a fan of having quirky things others don't have- like POR. End of day, I'm grow hops to get off "the hop grid". A non producer has got to go.

PM me. I'm going to Dark Lord day this weekend but depending on the health of the plant I could send you a cutting. Or if I have terrible results this year I could send you a three year old plant next year?

Something to consider beyond access is yield. I've got plants that give me 22oz dry-not bad for a home grower. I love fuggle but my stupid fuggle plant has given me four cones if I'm lucky. Just something to consider concerning POR.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.thymegarden.com/site/561124/product/H5100

Sold out but it confirms that's where I got it. They are described as "harsh". Huh, they get more appetizing as I think about it.

After Dark Lord day I'm setting up my trellis and I'll see what my POR looks like.

Quick Reply