Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > New 100 Rhizome hop farm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementbrewbrad View Post
Yea I was talking about making a harvester... I don't have 30k to spend on a harvester. We will most likely cut them down... the scaffold system will allow us to do that much more easily.
Cool man, I will keep following this thread. I have about 20 hop plants at this point and would love to find a way to avoid picking them. I'm also in VA, let me know if you have any questions about growing hops here.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #42
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Ok guys we are nearing completion on the build. All that is left to do is put in the permanent rack braces and finish bolting the headers. Once we get that in all of the temporary braces and stakes can come out and put up our rope and hop twine and get these bad boys in the ground.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #43
Greenbudobeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Holy cheap! Now that a lot of work! Looks great, did you use pressure treated lumber?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #44
bigbadal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my god...you don't know what you're getting yourself into my friend. I have 4 high yielding plants and its a big job at picking time, not to mention watering and pruning in the spring/summer! you're going to have a lot of hops to brew with, how do you plan to dry them?

Fermenter: white IPA & belgian wit
Secondary: M/T
Keg#1: Red ale
Keg#2: saaz ale
bottled: black IPA
Predicted Brews: cascade+MO SMASH, chinook+MO SMASH

Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #45
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons210 View Post
Apparently the bine 3060 plans are online somewhere. I haven't been able to find it yet though. The reason I know about these things is because I plan on starting a hop farm in eastern pa next year. Good luck to u
I'm pretty sure we don't have the plans on line any more. When we got a professional website done, a lot of that info didn't transfer.

If you look at our equipment website (Yeah, Bine Implement is part of Gorst Valley Hops.) you will see plenty of pictures of the equipment. Basically, its just a drum with picking fingers attached. Some of our growers have built their own and had luck with two drums but we subscribe to K.I.S.S. You can also see the basics of our separator. Trommel screen to get the big stuff and pressurized dribble belt for the small stuff.

If you are going to build your own, send me a note. I'll get you a contact to purchase the picking fingers from a Danhuaer rep direct. They can sell you pre-made picking fingers that are WAY better than what you can build and probably cheaper than the wire you would buy. Its what we do and it saves a boat load of time and $$'s.

Before you even think about buying ours, a Wolf or anyone other picker, you really should try building your own. Its a good winter time project.

But for the first two years, untie, drop them down, pick and then tie them back up. It will be worth more to you in the long run to give them the extra time to grow root mass than to have an easier harvest.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #46
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you gvh dan... I will be in contact with you about the picking fingers.

Greenbudobeer, Yes it is pressure treated lumber. This bad boy has been getting alot of attention from low flying helicopters, it will be interesting to see how much it gets when there are green things growing buds all throughout it. Hopefully nobody gets to close to it... We will have some warning signs hung up so that anybody who wants to get really curious will think twice about their proximity.

I am amazed by the amount of people who have offered a helping hand in this project so far. I will owe quite a few people a batch of beer and/or some free hops when all is said and done.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/new-...p-farm-400000/

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #47
Greenbudobeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry about the holy cheap(my kindle fire doesn't know crap as a word yet lol)

Soo... Holy crap!!!( there nothing cheap about that much lumber)

I bet with that thing the government been checking you out from satellites I would have offered to help if I wasn't on the other side of the country, because I want to see this beast in action at the end of the season.

I glad you didn't use plain out of the bundle pine, I used pine 4x4s for posts for my garden and the rotted out in 3 years. The only down side is that there is a lot of talk about how pressure treated lumber likes to leach of some of its chemicals over time. I don't know if this is overly worrisome gardeners of the truth. I went with cedar with a natural flax seed oil for my planter box's, but the cost of it was ridiculous. The structure you made looks like it would last 30 years and withstand an earthquake!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #48
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm just waiting to see which are the "temporary braces and stakes" and what is permanent.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #49
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

All of the permanent braces will be high up. None of the lower braces you see will be used once the rack braces are put in place. The lumber for the rac braces, the I hooks, and 1600 feet of twine ordered.

We are in this one for the long hall. I hope this bad boy can make us some money because it sure has cost a pretty penny.

For all the work my dad has done on this project I took him to his first Nationals game at Nats park. It was a glorious day, although it was strange not to be down on the field working with the guys. A nice day off resulting in a win for the Nats.

I will update again, hopefully, this weekend with some pictures of everything completed and plants in the ground.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/new-...p-farm-400000/

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #50
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementbrewbrad
All of the permanent braces will be high up. None of the lower braces you see will be used once the rack braces are put in place. The lumber for the rac braces, the I hooks, and 1600 feet of twine ordered.

We are in this one for the long hall. I hope this bad boy can make us some money because it sure has cost a pretty penny.

For all the work my dad has done on this project I took him to his first Nationals game at Nats park. It was a glorious day, although it was strange not to be down on the field working with the guys. A nice day off resulting in a win for the Nats.

I will update again, hopefully, this weekend with some pictures of everything completed and plants in the ground.
Just realized ur not too far away. Good luck with everything man.

Quick Reply