The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Need a single "stake", help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
7Enigma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need a single "stake", help please

Hello everyone,

I have on order 2 Nugget rhizomes and am planning on prepping the area(s) for planting. One will be going around a lightpost at the front of my yard, and so I have no worry I can train it around that. The other, and the reason for this post, is going to be going in a small planters box between my property and my neighbors. I do not have room to use a tee-pee design or overhang.

So what I need is a stake of some kind that will last and be able to adequately support the vine.

I had thought of a large piece of rebar (say 12-15' tall) and then driving that straight into the ground about 3-4' to anchor it. I don't even know if rebar is available easily in that dimension, or whether its not good to use in the first place(does it rust?). My other thought was a tall wooden dowel or something, but I really have no clue on what is commonly sold at general hardware stores to use.

I have a 3-4' wrought iron planter hanger I can use in the meantime, but would prefer to have the proper stake in place PRIOR to planting the rhizome (for fear of damaging the roots).

Thank you for your advice in advance and I'll see if I can grab a picture of two of where these will be going.

justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

A grounding rod is pretty long, and won't rust. It would be fairly smooth though. Not sure if the vine would be able to support itself on that. You could drive a pipe into the ground and make a "T" at the top, then run twine down from there. It would be slightly wider than the pipe, but not as wide as a teepee.

Rebar will rust, but unless you dislike the look of it, it won't rust enough to become weak in a large number of years. I believe rebar is farily flexible though, so it might not do well to support the weight of hops vines.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
foonder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used 2" diameter PVC pipe. It's somewhat unsightly, but I painted it green so it doesn't stick out like a big ugly white plastic pipe. At the Home Depot near me, they sell 10' long pipes, although I'm sure you could get longer if you asked / looked. Pipe works for me & a bunch of other people based on what I've read. If you anchor it down 2.5 - 3' deep ideally with cement you should be good.

One idea I had a little to late was to take something like a 10 - 15' pipe and place it inside of a 3' hole, but inside the hole would be a much wider pipe capped off at the end with cement in it. I suppose a bucket would work just as well, but if you had a long 2" diameter pipe sticking into a very short 5" pipe filled with cement, it would make for a cleaner & neater anchor. Just a thought though.

Beer + Weird Stuff = Awesome

Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about a section of pipe? Galvanized? Not sure that you'll want to deal with that kind of demensions with rebar as it would be a logistic nightmare as well as a wee bit heavy

What is the soil like? You might be able to drive a section of pipe with a hand sledge if the soil is right and then connect a section to that but I'd be concerned about bracing it a bit more. Maybe consider an anchor below ground if you go that route.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Go buy a cheap flag pole. You bury a short housing in concrete in the ground, and the flag pole inserts into the housing. THen you can remove it in the off season.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Big "A"
Recipes 

Try this dude.
Home depot has eight foot green plastic coated steel rods. Stake them at two ends one starting at the hops of course. like this \-------------------/
The wire or twine run through a hole you have drilled at the top then stake into the ground below the pole to create tension. You'll need to put two feet of the pole into the ground but your hops will be 6 feet up and however many feet across you choose to run the poles.
This will also make for easy harvesting!!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

how tall of a system for the first year do we need?

I'm back!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Big "A"
Recipes 

I've read that an average of 6'-8' but I think that depends on variety.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big "A"
Try this dude.
Home depot has eight foot green plastic coated steel rods. Stake them at two ends one starting at the hops of course. like this \-------------------/
The wire or twine run through a hole you have drilled at the top then stake into the ground below the pole to create tension. You'll need to put two feet of the pole into the ground but your hops will be 6 feet up and however many feet across you choose to run the poles.
This will also make for easy harvesting!!
My friend Hagen and I did almost the exact same thing this past weekend for his 9 rhizomes. He used these steel rods and is using his treeline for the other "stakes." Looks pretty nice and really functional. It should be pretty easy for him to train the bines with this method as the exposed stake is just shy of 6 feet. Should make for easy harvesting as well. The stakes we got were closer to 7 foot though. I believe they are called engineer stakes.

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. As mentioned in my first post unfortuntely due to the space constraints this has to be a single pole, no \---------/ setup could work. I didn't think about the flex of the rebar so that is out. My favorite so far is the PVC pipe, but I'm worried the wife will nix that idea based on looks. Maybe if I paint it as you mentioned it won't look so unsightly...

What is this grounding rod you refer to? Is it just a metal rod of long length? My biggest issue is going to be finding a local place with a pole at least 10' tall. Since I'm going to be burying at least 2-3' for support even 10' is kind of short.

Also doesn't PVC flex quite a bit at longer lengths?

Quick Reply