Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Need a few trellis ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
BlackForestBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need a few trellis ideas.

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to pre-order more rhizomes, to add on to the collection of hops I have growing already. I can't remember exactly what I have growing now, but I have the list somewhere. I know I lost a few due to excessive water (lots of clay soil here that retains water).

Anyway, I've rambled enough. I have a 5 acre field in front of my place, that has perfect access to sunlight (all day long), and I'd like to get some more hops started up there. I'm getting ready to prepare the land for growing (clearing weeds, laying down plastic to clear everything out, getting the new trellises (?) started, etc.

I'm thinking about starting 25-30 new rhizomes this season, and I need ideas for trellis designs. My previous design consisted of 4 posts, with tightened wire running across the top with twine running down to the ground so the vines could grow up the twine.

I need ideas. I'm thinking of possibly putting posts into the ground spaced apart, and placing screws on the top of each post (360 degrees), and secure twine around the base so the hops can grow up vines 360 degrees. I know this description isn't very clear, but I hope you guys can understand what I'm talking about. I need to buy some special soil because of the high clay content in the soil here.

What do ya guys think? I'm open to any/all ideas. I'm just trying to make an efficient growing area for this season and future seasons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
BlackForestBrewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackForestBrewery View Post
I need ideas. I'm thinking of possibly putting posts into the ground spaced apart, and placing screws on the top of each post (360 degrees), and secure twine around the base so the hops can grow up vines 360 degrees. I know this description isn't very clear, but I hope you guys can understand what I'm talking about. I need to buy some special soil because of the high clay content in the soil here.
After searching around, I found a picture of what I was thinking about doing. This was posted up here by Boerderij_Kabouter. I'm not sure if the image belongs to him, but I'd like to mention that this imagine is NOT mine.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
BlackForestBrewery
Recipes 

Still no feedback? I'll still begin ordering the hops and preparing the field for plantation this spring. I'd like to hear some feedback guys!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2061

search is your friend. Tons of threads on exactly this topic already exist for ideas for your project.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
BlackForestBrewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
search is your friend. Tons of threads on exactly this topic already exist for ideas for your project.
Sorry man. I figured asking would still help produce some results since the search function is not always extremely reliable. I'm sure it gets annoying seeing the same topics appearing all the time, but I'm not exactly technologically gifted.

I guess its back to searching.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Tsuyako
Recipes 

I don't have any pictures but I grow mine horizontally across my deck. I have this somewhat fear of ladders and I have a neighbor who might think that they are 'something special' so growing them up isn't really that great for me. I know that alot of people on here grow theirs on 10+ foot tall rectangular trellis' that have strings going from the ground to the top. (I just realized that what's you do to so nevermind)

I do like the gazibo (can't remember the real name) style you have up there. I thought of doing the same thing or something similar, who knows I might yet. Sitting under your own hops with a cold one on a hot day, sounds pretty good to me! Let me see if I can find the 2009 hop garden thread and I'll post it for you.

Edit:
Here you go. Hope this helps!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/2009-hop-garden-picture-thread-109536/

Fermenter: Chinook IPA from NB
BB1: Empty
Carboy1: Empty
Carboy2: Empty

Bottled: Blood Orange Hefe, Ginger Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Spiced Ale

Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
mthompson
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My suggestion is, if you are doing 25-30 rhizomes you should really look into what the industry uses for agricultural production. There is a reason they are all similar....and with 5 acres in front of you, you could easily work with that. At least to me, it sounds like you are thinking of starting to produce for commercial sales.....

For a few hop plants and personal use, a single pole with multiple droppers (can't think of the technical term) works well. But for that many plants, you are going to need a good solid structure to support them all. and give them all equal access to the sun.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
mthompson
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was thinking something similar to what Jaybird has set up. Here is his gallery of photos

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's what I did, but I only have 5 rhizomes going:

I do LOVE Boerderij_Kabouter's idea and was going to try to replicate it last year. I ended up going simpler, though.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 224

one of the problems with a tee-pee design like you're considering is that you end up with a tangled mess at the top which makes it more difficult to harvest - especially if you're running different varieties up the same pole.

Quick Reply