Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Native Hops to North Dakota

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I ordered a Cascade, a Williamette, and a Hallertauer from Midwest Supplies last winter. I was pretty happy with the shipping and quality. They all came to my house pretty early, but you can keep them alive pretty easily in your fridge by keeping them damp.

Planted very early in the spring in northern MN. Cascade and Williamette took off really well, got to be ~ 14 feet tall and produced maybe a 1/2 oz dry each. I used them for dry hopping my Pale Ale that's currently kegged. Yum! My Hallertau only got 5 or 6 feet high, but I buried that one too deep. So operator error there. I hope all 3 come back strong this year. I should get much more production in year 2.

Speaking of the North Dakota Nameless, how 'bout them BullDogs? #1 baby! Up next is disappointing 16,000 fans in Omaha this Friday. For once I can't wait to play North Dakota in February. Should be tons of fun. Oh and I've been to the Ralph, no way they can ever get rid of all of the Sioux logo's there.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The Ralph is by far the most extravagant arena built. from the stone floors with the 30 foot logos everywhere, to the washrooms (yes they are that nice). The dressing rooms are huge, the ice is grat to play on, not too hot not too cold, and the home teams gym rivals anything out there. i was told the only team owned private gym that is bigger is one of the NFL teams. Underwater treadmills, ice treadmills, more stuff than you can think of.
I will get back to you tonight on the one variety that does not grow too well.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I agree the Ralphs is very extravagent, especially for college hockey. Too bad my team got whooped up on when I visited years ago or I might be inclined to go back.

I'm just glad the Dogs now have a venue that isn't 45 years old. They kept the same kind of feel though with the upper deck still close to the ice. I recommend a visit sometime for college hockey fans. Canal Park is a blast before and after games for Duluth fans and visiting fans alike.

Oh yeah, supposed to be talking hops here. Really cool how they will self train themselves to a rope. This happened while I was gone in the spring (only visit lakeplace once every 2 weeks). From meager beginnings...

full-5554-9427-spring2011044.jpg  
Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't know what they will do with the Ralph yet but i know it will be expensive. Nice looking hops. must be from previous year. although we haven't had much snow yet and chance of upper 30s this weekend. might just build my garden base this weekend in the shop. i will hold off on ground breaking for a little while yet. but i am getting excited.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
Greatlakeshops
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The Hop variety that is native to most of the Northern Tier States is Brewers Gold. It has been crossed and backcrossed to create most of the American Ale Types.
Cascade, Centennial, Northern Brewer all have it's genetics. Native plants collected by the USDA from the Nothern States all have Brewers Gold genes in common. Most of the other "wild " hops found growing across the midwest are survivors from the first generation of brewers. All Hail the Ancients!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sorry for the delay, just looked at my hop garden map this morning, and the variety that is going to be coming out this year because of lack in production is Nuggett. two years in the ground and still haven't got one hop cone off it, and it has not grown more than 8 feet tall.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well here is the update,

Ordered Cascade, Nugget, and Willamette. just received them yesterday, rolled them in papertowel, misted them with water and put them in the fridge. wondering when would be a good time to plant them? this year has been extremely warm and i wanted to plant them. what would be the earliest i should plant them?

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
tokerlund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Howdy, Also a Fargo boy here and have been thinking about planting some hops. My brother has a vine that went gangbusters in Bemidji and it inspired me.

I wanted to know how your hops did this summer. I live on one of Fargo's many parks. Which is beautiful in the summer, but with little shade, a steep slope that faces North and often (but not this year) damp soil due to the park being an "overflow" for flooding I am not sure how hops would do. I wanted to see what your experience was like before I spent the time and money. I am a pretty lazy gardener and if it is too much hassle I'll just skip it.

On a side note, with the bumper crop of crab apples this year around town, I was able to pick till my heart's content and have a nice 3 gallon jug of crab apple wine going in the basement. I am thinking that it might be worth trying come planting time in the spring!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Wild Hops in Pembina Valley

Greetings Manitoba, North Dakota!

I grow Gouldings with no problem in Winnipeg - if they grow here, you should be able to grow 'em in North Dakota.

I also grow a variety that's been on my family's farmyard in Saskatchewan 100 miles northwest of Minot for the past 50 years. No one knows where exactly they came from, or what the variety is, but I think they taste/smell/brew kinda like Cascade.

There's a TON of wild hops growing in the Pembina Valley, just north of the border, in one of our provincial parks...I dried a bunch of cones last summer, haven't brewed with them at all, though.

Also, the Ralph is a shrine...classiest men's room in a hockey facility, anywhere. World Juniors down there a couple years ago were awesome!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Quick Reply