Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Mystery Hops Identification Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
cbg96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mystery Hops Identification Thread

Yes indeed. PLEASE can you wise folks give me some guidance on what these are. Cut one open, and the aroma very much will fill a room. Put a bit in your mouth and the bitterness will stick with you for a long time.

Help a poor noob figure out the ID

Most of the cones are about this big. Some are bigger, the weaker ones smaller. The real mammoths of the bunch are about two inches.

The two five lobed leaves are the most common by and large. The other one is from the last about quarter part of a vine tendril.

Drinking - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops Version II with less hops and more fermentables - bottled Nov. 17

Deep Reserve - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops (into the bottles on October 11); a winner & saving 5 bottles out

Deep Reserve - LHBS Recipe IPA - first effort Sept. 13, good stuff but undercarbed; saving 4 bottles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

There are only a handful of hops that can be positively identified by cone and leaf shape. This isn't one of them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When you crush a cone what aromas do you get? If you steep a cone is some hot water for a bit what are the aromas that you get as well as the taste of the hop tea? That may help in narrowing the possibilities.

Are these growing wild in your backyard or is these from an rhizome that you ordered that wasn't labeled?
runhard

runhard, trainhard, raceEZ
Jeffrey

keg 1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
keg 2-Yooper's Fat Sam - I highly recommend it
keg 3-Yooper's Fat Tire
keg 4-XXX Stout
keg 5-empty

Fermenter #1-Graham Sander's Tropical Flower Wit
Fermenter #2-empty

Old 10-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
cbg96
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runhard View Post
When you crush a cone what aromas do you get? If you steep a cone is some hot water for a bit what are the aromas that you get as well as the taste of the hop tea? That may help in narrowing the possibilities.

Are these growing wild in your backyard or is these from an rhizome that you ordered that wasn't labeled?
runhard

As far as the vine, it came with the house. The former owner had definitely brewed - I remember seeing a carboy in the basement when looking around prior to purchase and wondering what the heck it was - and the vine had been trained to go up to the roof (not the best idea for a variety of reasons, but...).

On the aromas, I'm a gawdawful judge other than "hoppy." Probably piney as an element with maybe a citrus element. Very strong, though. When I cut that one in half for the pic, it filled the room (kitchen) quickly and easily. I did taste some leaf (not tea) and it had massive bitterness - I spit it out fairly quick and it stuck with me for over an hour.

Drinking - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops Version II with less hops and more fermentables - bottled Nov. 17

Deep Reserve - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops (into the bottles on October 11); a winner & saving 5 bottles out

Deep Reserve - LHBS Recipe IPA - first effort Sept. 13, good stuff but undercarbed; saving 4 bottles

Quick Reply