The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My trellis design... how many to plant??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
mykayel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My trellis design... how many to plant??

Well I finally finished my trellis for my hops/garden. I might have to put some chicken wire around the base to keep the rabbits out as I'm pretty sure they can get through the lattice... but at least my dog won't be able to get in there. I haven't got anything planted (everythings still in pots in my window) and I'm planning on putting eye-bolts in the base and into the top to run my rope for the hops to climb. Its a 4'x8' layout and I haven't decided yet if I'm just going to plant one in each corner and leave the middle for a couple of tomatoes, or if I'll go ahead and plant antoher two in the middle for a total of six (I have 8 rizhomes right now so 2-4 have to go somewhere else...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
IlliniSox4Life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd put the tomatoes somewhere else. Once those vines start growing, it will limit the amount of sun the tomatoes get.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

is there a way to add extensions to it? if the hops run up the legs and into the top they will get crazy tangled together. Might be hard to harvest.

Or, run one of the same species on either end from each other. So mixing won't really matter much.

Quick Reply