Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My Hops Garden Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
Gridlocked
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

And as of this weekend.

This is the Cascade that the caterpillars attacked. These are some tough plants!

I call this "The Little Centennial that could..." It's really taken off in the past week.

This is the Cascade at the far end of the house. The cones toward the top are about 4" tall. Not bad for first-years.

The are the tiny cones below are on the Centennial on the corner of the fence.

The Chinook on the back fence is doing really well. Quite a few cones.

Last edited by Gridlocked; 08-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
jangelj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

nice pics, man. And thanks for following up so often with updates. It really tells the "story" of growing hops. keep posting!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
timeeater101
Recipes 

WOW, they have done some growing since I last checked. I am impressed how they did on the fence seems like they did pretty good. My cascade that i planted last year and did so good at the beginning of the year this year, kinda slowed down growing and didn't produce much cones. But the one that was slow growing in the beginning has tons of cones. Not sure what thats about. Sorry, straying from topic. Anything you would do different?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Hindsight being 20/20, let's see...

The Transplant: I would have taken more care when I moved the plants from the pots to the ground. When I flipped the pots over, the dirt fell apart exposing the roots and some of them were really damaged, so I would have been more careful with that. The Chinook that didn't make it has about a foot of growth that snapped off when I transplanted it and I'm sure that is why it didn't make it.

The Rope: I also would have shopped a bit more for some heavier duty twine or hemp rope. I used some crap string that I had on hand and although it has not broken yet, It has stretched quite a bit.

Pest Chemicals: I also would have had some anti-pest chemicals on hand from the start so I could have treated at the first sign of those damn caterpillars.

Garden Layout: Oh, and I would not let my wife plant the mother of all tomato plants near my hops.

Next Year mod 1: Next year I plan to use a store-purchased (or Paulasarus built) trellis for each plant and run a few ropes up from the top of that for the main two or three shoots. As the plants grow, I hope to train them to fill the trellises, giving me more hops closer to the ground for easier harvesting. With this, I will also plan for the plants to fill the string and I will leave enough extra rope so that I can untie the top and allow for more vertical growth by spooling up the lower rope kind of like a vertical tread mill or something.

Next Year mod 2: Another plan for net year will be to section off the growing area of dirt so I don't end up with a yard and planter full of hops. I will either pound sections of stainless steel or marine/exterior plywood into the ground on the left and right of each growing section.

Next Year mod 3: I will be putting at least one 55 gallon drum in the back corner of the garden as a catch for rain water and as a holding tank from my sump pump discharge. I will be putting a ball valve at the bottom (like a kettle spigot) which will go to pressure compensating drip line to irrigate the garden so I can water easily and use my water more effectively.

Next Year More Rhizomes: I hope to get a few more rhizomes of different verities onto the fence for next year - those are doing great and the harvest at waist height is going to be SWEET...

I'm glad that I purchased two of each rhizome and that I decided to put a few of them near the fence to see how they did. I also appreciated having a couple bags of manure and the BioBloom fertilizer on hand.

Last edited by Gridlocked; 08-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #25
tschoolman
Recipes 

Nice! Before you get worried about the Centennial, wait until year 2. My cascade produced alot in the first year, not much in the Centennial and Tettnang. This year, the Centennial has taken over, and I couldn't keep up with seperating it from the other rhizomes! What part of Minnesota are you in - would be nice to compare notes?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
SAMPLER
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second the rain barrel. The water bill has taken a hit this summer as has the grass. I have moved by lawn waterings to hops waterings only. The rain barrel will definitely make a difference.

CHEERS

Madfish Malt House
On Tap: Blue Moon Clone
Kegged: EMPTY
Primary: EMPTY
Secondary: N/A

Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
Schecter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow. I'm extremely impressed. Very inspiring, grid. Now I just need to become a gardener...

On deck: Bee Cave Brewery Kolsch, Cottage House Saison

Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looking really good man! And great ideas for next year, especially adding more rhizones.

But a store bought trellis? You can easily build your own. Lets pick up a few telephone poles and get you setup proper

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschoolman View Post
Nice! Before you get worried about the Centennial, wait until year 2. My cascade produced alot in the first year, not much in the Centennial and Tettnang. This year, the Centennial has taken over, and I couldn't keep up with seperating it from the other rhizomes! What part of Minnesota are you in - would be nice to compare notes?
Thanks tschoolman! Yeah, I'm not really worried - just comparing I guess. I'm sure next year is going to be a cone bonanza. I'm out west on Highway 7 in St. Bonifacius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMPLER View Post
I second the rain barrel. The water bill has taken a hit this summer as has the grass. I have moved by lawn waterings to hops waterings only. The rain barrel will definitely make a difference.
We've been really fortunate in Minnesota this year for rain as they have been watered by the heavens just about every two or three days. I've soaked them a handful of times but I would have probably used zero city-water which would have been awesome. I've used my irrigation system twice all summer and I can barely keep the grass to a decent length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulasaurus View Post
Looking really good man! And great ideas for next year, especially adding more rhizomes. But a store bought trellis? You can easily build your own. Lets pick up a few telephone poles and get you setup proper
Yeah, I could easily build my own and/or see edited post above. You're right though, I will have more time next summer as both boys will be walking/running around and able to entertain themselves more. Good call. I have been wondering how to utilize the field behind my house - I'm sure the owner wouldn't care.

for all the replies, everyone!

Last edited by Gridlocked; 08-27-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #30
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks gorgeous! The only thought I have is where the rhizomes are planted near the fences, you'll want to make sure you have access to the roots so that you can trim them every few years or so.

I think that without some trimming, they WILL spread wildly. Just a thought that popped in my head.

Quick Reply