Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My hops garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 273

yeah they did, i saw them.

hops grow like weeds. i was listening to a podcast recently where a grower was saying that during the peak summer months the plants can grow 12" a day... you can literally see them grow.

hops need to climb, but they don't necessarily need to climb straight up. that's their natural preference but apartment-dwellers have grown them on balconies by using trellises and getting them to grow more horizontally than vertically. example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/firs...desert-319857/

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
theBFG Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
yeah they did, i saw them.

hops grow like weeds. i was listening to a podcast recently where a grower was saying that during the peak summer months the plants can grow 12" a day... you can literally see them grow.

hops need to climb, but they don't necessarily need to climb straight up. that's their natural preference but apartment-dwellers have grown them on balconies by using trellises and getting them to grow more horizontally than vertically. example: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/firs...desert-319857/
Aha! I see, thanks!

I plan on only living in the apt for another year or so, so hopefully I would be able to plant them outside after the first year. But this helps me start sooner!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That Columbus plant was a total freak of nature for a first year plant. I did not expect to get even an ounce out of what I planted, but she filled several gallon bags for me. When I took the lines down in the fall, her bine was as big as my thumb near the ground! I made a nice harvest ale with her flowers and it is really different from anything I have made to date. This was my first year growing hops and really enjoyed the whole experience; from worrying if anything would grow, to worrying about what bugs were eating my babies, to worrying if I would get any cones, to...hey, sounds like a lot of worrying and no fun! I think now that they have established themselves, next year will be a blast watching them all climb! Also, this year was a banner year in MD for growing stuff. My two tomato plants produced from May until just a few weeks ago!! I am sure we got a thousand or more tomatoes off those two plants; and they were HUGE! Good luck with whatever you end up doing. I would suggest you use a large pot like others have and give it a try with one or two plants. I think you'll have a blast and can transplant the rhizome or full plant when you change addresses. Cheers!

Reason: splelnig

Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Man what a harvest! Where do you buy seeds from? I would like to try growing some after the winter is over.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #25
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

For hops, you don't start with seeds instead you plant what is called a rhizome which is like a chunk of root. In the spring, there are a lot of vendors that sell them. Alternatively, you can buy whole plants or crowns, if you want a faster start. I got some of mine from Williamette Valley and others from another source online which I would have to dig up. Search this forum and you will find a lot of references to good places to get hops rhizomes, crowns, and plants...good luck!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for the info!!

I just sent out an email to Great Lakes Hops (Zeeland, MI)

Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #27
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

Great Lakes has rave reviews on here and if I had seen them before I decided to order I probably would have given them a go. I like the idea of harvesting hops the same year as you plant. A season is a long time to wait and two is waaaaay longer than I wanted to. I got really lucky with the Columbus, which I use in great quantities so it turned out very well for me. If I was doing this next year, I would go the route you are heading on. Most of the folks that sell hop rhizomes and whatnot only do so in the spring, BTW. You might have to wait until then to get your crown, which is a superior way to go IMHO. Best of luck and do post pix of your plant(s)!!

Cheers!

PS - I may grab a crown of cascade next spring from GLH as I am thinking I need it for a backup when we have bad years of Amarillo like this year!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #28
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

First of my 5 hills to produce vegetation and it is the queen mother Columbus hop that was the pride of my garden last year. My Mount Hood has a single sprout as well. The other 3 are not breaking ground and one or two may not have survived the winter as they were very weak producers last year. Expect the Columbus to be a big plant this year!!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 273

stonebrewer - pshaw! wait 'til i upload pix of my newport tonight... about 20 bines poking up already, several a foot and a half tall!

do need to get me some of that columbus!

all of my plants are up. newport is clearly in first place, sterling is #2, centennial and cascade competing for third. santiam and nugget are laggards, but are up.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #30
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

I hear ya. That picture was taken yesterday. Some of those bines are now a foot long!! From this morning when I went to work until I came home they grew 3 inches or more! My Nugget also broke ground with about ten sprouts by the time I got home. Won't be long until I need to put my pole back up. Are you planning on cutting your back now or are you just going to let them sprout all over the place?

Quick Reply