Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My hops arrived!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
tcory77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My hops arrived!!!!!!

I got my 3 Cascade rhisomes yesterday!!!!! I wasn't expecting them for another few weeks, so I put a damp paper towl in the ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. I plan on working the soil where I will plant them. I am going to dig a hole and mix in manure with the soil. I am also going to add a wooden frame to raise the bed a little. I plan on letting the soil and manure sit for 2-3 weeks before planting. Does this sound like a good plan? As far as when to plant do I just need to monitor how cold it is getting at night and make sure we are getting above freezing for the most part? I am in Tulsa, OK.

Thanks for any help. I have read a million threads on here and am in a bit of information overload so I thought I would just ask the experts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yaaaaay! Kiss your sanity goodbye.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4611 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post
I got my 3 Cascade rhisomes yesterday!!!!! I wasn't expecting them for another few weeks, so I put a damp paper towl in the ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. I plan on working the soil where I will plant them. I am going to dig a hole and mix in manure with the soil. I am also going to add a wooden frame to raise the bed a little. I plan on letting the soil and manure sit for 2-3 weeks before planting. Does this sound like a good plan? As far as when to plant do I just need to monitor how cold it is getting at night and make sure we are getting above freezing for the most part? I am in Tulsa, OK.

Thanks for any help. I have read a million threads on here and am in a bit of information overload so I thought I would just ask the experts.
Put them in the ground ASAP and get that soil worked and a amended. Don't worry about cold or freezing temps. As soon as the ground is able to be worked (I am assuming it already is in Oklahoma) you should get them in the terra firma.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Put them in the ground ASAP and get that soil worked and a amended. Don't worry about cold or freezing temps. As soon as the ground is able to be worked (I am assuming it already is in Oklahoma) you should get them in the terra firma.
Yup. Can dig them in now. But if they sprout cut them back til April. late freezes can seriously deflate the ego's of the hops.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Andrea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Take out the moist towelette!

You have a better chance of starting the rot and the mold with that moisture wrap.
In the ground is best and manure will not break down and burn until above 50 degrees so amend and put those rhizomes in the ground
Soil temperature is more important than air temp and I doubt your ground temp is any colder than your fridge.

<A>

Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
ljsbeer
Recipes 

I left mine in the bag with a damp paper towel for about a month and a half until the ground thawed for good. My hops grew to the top of my 20 ft poles and then grew another 4 to 5 ft. I made mounds from bags top soil mixed with peatmoss and a little chicken crap that I bought at home cheap O. It took about a month after planting before my hops broke ground. Anyway I don't see what the rush is. Just plant them when the ground thaws and they'll grow when they're ready. Good Luck

Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
Retrofit
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll tell you a story, but first I want to point outON'T DO THIS!

I got my rhizomes and what happens, my roto tiller breaks. I bring it to 'my guy'. His quote', "Bout a week, maybe less." I put my rhizomes in a glass cooking wear and lay wet paper towels on top of them and put them in the window so they have light and water, but no soil. It'll just be a few days, it'll be fine.

Freaking guy takes THREE WEEKS to fix my rototiller. Kept saying 'another day'. Twice I told him I'm going to pick it up and take it someplace else because I need to till that soil! Frustrated!
Well what happens to my hops? They just kept growing!
Water and light. No soil, my rhizomes sent through the mailed sprouted, grew, clung to my windows. I would not encourage anyone to try this, but hops want to LIVE. They want to GROW. They wil fight all your errors. They will 'help you, help them', live. They will frustrate you and confuse you, but if there is a way to live, they'll find it.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
zzyvba
Recipes 

where did you order it from? I want to buy rhizomes

Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsbeer View Post
I left mine in the bag with a damp paper towel for about a month and a half until the ground thawed for good. My hops grew to the top of my 20 ft poles and then grew another 4 to 5 ft. I made mounds from bags top soil mixed with peatmoss and a little chicken crap that I bought at home cheap O. It took about a month after planting before my hops broke ground. Anyway I don't see what the rush is. Just plant them when the ground thaws and they'll grow when they're ready. Good Luck
No rush. Just better in the dirt than in the bag.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyvba View Post
where did you order it from? I want to buy rhizomes
http://www.thymegarden.com/site/561124/page/217466

Thyme Garden Organic Hops.

Looks like they are currently shipping several different varieties. I pre-ordered mine, so I guess that is why they came so early.

Quick Reply