My hops arrived!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
I got my 3 Cascade rhisomes yesterday!!!!! I wasn't expecting them for another few weeks, so I put a damp paper towl in the ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. I plan on working the soil where I will plant them. I am going to dig a hole and mix in manure with the soil. I am also going to add a wooden frame to raise the bed a little. I plan on letting the soil and manure sit for 2-3 weeks before planting. Does this sound like a good plan? As far as when to plant do I just need to monitor how cold it is getting at night and make sure we are getting above freezing for the most part? I am in Tulsa, OK.

Thanks for any help. I have read a million threads on here and am in a bit of information overload so I thought I would just ask the experts.

I got my 3 Cascade rhisomes yesterday!!!!! I wasn't expecting them for another few weeks, so I put a damp paper towl in the ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. I plan on working the soil where I will plant them. I am going to dig a hole and mix in manure with the soil. I am also going to add a wooden frame to raise the bed a little. I plan on letting the soil and manure sit for 2-3 weeks before planting. Does this sound like a good plan? As far as when to plant do I just need to monitor how cold it is getting at night and make sure we are getting above freezing for the most part? I am in Tulsa, OK.

Thanks for any help. I have read a million threads on here and am in a bit of information overload so I thought I would just ask the experts.

Put them in the ground ASAP and get that soil worked and a amended. Don't worry about cold or freezing temps. As soon as the ground is able to be worked (I am assuming it already is in Oklahoma) you should get them in the terra firma.

Put them in the ground ASAP and get that soil worked and a amended. Don't worry about cold or freezing temps. As soon as the ground is able to be worked (I am assuming it already is in Oklahoma) you should get them in the terra firma.

Yup. Can dig them in now. But if they sprout cut them back til April. late freezes can seriously deflate the ego's of the hops.

Take out the moist towelette!

You have a better chance of starting the rot and the mold with that moisture wrap.
In the ground is best and manure will not break down and burn until above 50 degrees so amend and put those rhizomes in the ground
Soil temperature is more important than air temp and I doubt your ground temp is any colder than your fridge.

<A>

I left mine in the bag with a damp paper towel for about a month and a half until the ground thawed for good. My hops grew to the top of my 20 ft poles and then grew another 4 to 5 ft. I made mounds from bags top soil mixed with peatmoss and a little chicken crap that I bought at home cheap O. It took about a month after planting before my hops broke ground. Anyway I don't see what the rush is. Just plant them when the ground thaws and they'll grow when they're ready. Good Luck:mug:

I'll tell you a story, but first I want to point out:DON'T DO THIS!

I got my rhizomes and what happens, my roto tiller breaks. I bring it to 'my guy'. His quote', "Bout a week, maybe less." I put my rhizomes in a glass cooking wear and lay wet paper towels on top of them and put them in the window so they have light and water, but no soil. It'll just be a few days, it'll be fine.

Freaking guy takes THREE WEEKS to fix my rototiller. Kept saying 'another day'. Twice I told him I'm going to pick it up and take it someplace else because I need to till that soil! Frustrated!
Well what happens to my hops? They just kept growing!
Water and light. No soil, my rhizomes sent through the mailed sprouted, grew, clung to my windows. I would not encourage anyone to try this, but hops want to LIVE. They want to GROW. They wil fight all your errors. They will 'help you, help them', live. They will frustrate you and confuse you, but if there is a way to live, they'll find it.

Good luck!

I left mine in the bag with a damp paper towel for about a month and a half until the ground thawed for good. My hops grew to the top of my 20 ft poles and then grew another 4 to 5 ft. I made mounds from bags top soil mixed with peatmoss and a little chicken crap that I bought at home cheap O. It took about a month after planting before my hops broke ground. Anyway I don't see what the rush is. Just plant them when the ground thaws and they'll grow when they're ready. Good Luck:mug:

No rush. Just better in the dirt than in the bag.

For the record, in Oklahoma I have yet to have any Aphid problems or Jap Beetle issues but, watch out for the spider mites mid-summer. Those effers are ruthless.

Plan to shower the hops daily when temps hit triple digits or the plant will become sad and wilty. apply heavy layer of mulch to the roots to keep those from cooking.

If you don;t have good drainage, the frequent spring rains will bog the hops and they'll go into Oxygen shock. This looks identical to a nutrient deficiency. If you are in clay, you'll do better to plan a raised bed for the drainage.

I have 13, 3 year old plants and have dealt with a LOT of crap in Oklahoma to get them this far. If you are in Tulsa, the soil there is pretty organic so you may be in better shape that OKC. It's all red clay here.

Did they email you a shipping notice? I pre-ordered from them a month ago and am on pins and needles now that I know they're shipping.

Most of these places ship to you on a calendar that fits your agricultural zone. depending where you are in Virginia you're likely to be in zones 6 or 7... If people in Oklahoma are receiving their orders, you would receive them soon, although orders by this point might get prioritized to a later date by previous "pre-orders".

Only way to really know would be to contact them.

Back