Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Moving hops to/from containers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
IanP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Moving hops to/from containers

I have a sudden hop emergency! SWMBO has recently decided that we must replace the siding on our house and garage, which is fine except my hops are planted along my garage wall and are climbing strings attached to hooks at the top of the wall. There are three hills with two rhizomes in each. The Cascades have done pretty well and have three good bines, two about 8' high. The Golding are small (2' and seem to have stopped) and the Willamette are even smaller.

When the siding guy visited he told me the area the hops are planted will get trampled by his team of guys, so they need to be moved or suffer the consequences . I have nowhere else to plant them, so I figure I should move them to containers while the job is done, then replant them. Is this likely to work, or will it do them a lot of harm to mvoe them in the middle of the growing season? The job is scheduled to start in about 4 weeks, so what is my best strategy - (a) move them now while they are smaller, but meaning they will be in the containers for nearly two months, or (b) let them grow and get stronger where they are, and move them at the last minute so they will only be in the containers for maybe 3 weeks? Help!

Conditioning : Assorted Meads
On Deck : Belgian IPA
Waiting : Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Move them sooner. The more root structure they grow, the more you'll be hacking off. Certainly the larger the root ball you can manage to remove the better, but you'll be stunting their growth no matter what.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I've listened to several podcasts on hops growing as this is my first year doing so. I would definitely get them moved asap. The guy from BYO has had good success growing hops exclusively in containers so its not the end of the world, that's how I'm growing this year btw. He recommends a container about 20" across and about that deep. If I were you I would wait until the fall/winter to move them back to the ground, I think they would take a serious hit being moved twice during the growing season.

The 2 most important things about container growing is good soil, specifically potting soil not dirt from the yard, and watering. With containers there is less space for water or nutrients so you'll need to water and fertilizer more frequently in containers than you would in the ground. Here's the podcast, it was really helpful.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...9container.mp3 In the past few days my hops have grown about an inch a day

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
IanP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys. Seems I'll be busy this weekend!

Conditioning : Assorted Meads
On Deck : Belgian IPA
Waiting : Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This thread takes me back to last June when a bad wind storm removed shingles from my house and garage. We fixed the house ASAP but I held off on the garage until September so as not to upset the hop harvest. Wife wasn't happy but she wasn't the one roofing and I convinced her that the shingles would get damaged if I tried to do it when it was too hot

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Quick Reply