Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Mother Nature = 1, Hops - 0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Mother Nature = 1, Hops - 0

High winds have beaten the holy, living hell out of my hop plants over the last 5 days. Last night, Mother Nature delivered the final KO left hook. 70+mph straight line winds.

In preparation I had the thought to secure the tops of the bines (clothespins) as through the week I have been continuously re-twisting the bines back onto the lines after a days work by the wind, un-twisting them. That worked but, the high winds have now effectively stripped the majority of the leaves that were left on my weakest (mite and nutrient afflicted) plants.

Not all hope is lost yet, the two older, most afflicted have been putting on sidearms with new laef structures so, these new structures should be able to feed the rhisome.

I am considering nipping off any and all cone formations at this point to force that energy back into the rhisome for a healthier plant next year.

To be completely honest, I am just thrilled that the support systems held through such a violent storm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Youch! Sorry to hear that. On a related note I have to hand pick Gypsy Worms off of my newly planted fruit trees. It's always a battle.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply