Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Miracle gro is amazing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #61
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonic View Post
Your local extension office should have soil testing kits. Usually the tests run about $20-25. Make your own compost, you'd be amazed at the amount of organic matter you throw away that could be made into wonderful compost for your hops or garden.

I think its already been mentioned but human urine mixed with wood ash makes a fantastic fertilizer. Couple notes, be sure to store the urine for at least 24 hours (most of any remaining pathogens will be digested or die) and you may want to dilute based on what you're using it on.

http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...loser-we-think
I am with you on the compost. I'll even pee on my own plants every chance I get.

But there is NO WAY IN HELL I am storing urine, anywhere, for 24+ hours unless it's collecting in my bladder.

I rather prefer to stay married thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #62
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4611 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonic View Post
I think its already been mentioned but human urine mixed with wood ash makes a fantastic fertilizer. Couple notes, be sure to store the urine for at least 24 hours (most of any remaining pathogens will be digested or die) and you may want to dilute based on what you're using it on.
What pathogens might that be? Urine itself is sterile, and although it may pick up some hitchhikers on the way through the urethra and on out, it is nothing your plants and soil won't handle just fine.

+1 Gila's comment about staying married. My wife already laughs at me for peeing on the hops or tomatoes... if I started storing it I might be moving into the shed.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #63
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1265 Times on 957 Posts
Likes Given: 673

man, I have a whole fireplace full of wood ash...Im gonna piss on it and feed my damn plants tonight. Maybe even have a cocktail while Im doing it. Party!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #64
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
What pathogens might that be? Urine itself is sterile, and although it may pick up some hitchhikers on the way through the urethra and on out, it is nothing your plants and soil won't handle just fine.

+1 Gila's comment about staying married. My wife already laughs at me for peeing on the hops or tomatoes... if I started storing it I might be moving into the shed.
I dunno my man, I thought urine was sterile as well. However, several online sources I found made a point to mention that pathogens, diseases, and other mild toxins are minimal and neutralized within 24 hours of leaving the body. They said minimal, but they were still mentioned.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #65
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineexampl View Post
Well said, sir!
Why thank you my good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've not really seen it documented as such, but I have always assumed this to be the case. My tactics have been nitrogen-rich applications until they reach desired height and then potassium-rich feedings thereafter.

For potassium I like to use wood ash from my fireplace or outdoor firepit. Nice and cheap!
Hops do seem to continue vigorous bine growth after cone production has started, but they are so huge by that point, it may just be a gentle lengthening of the bine proportionally. A 3% increase in a 30 foot bine is still a measurable increase, whereas a 10% increase in the early growth is expected.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #66
Jughead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
There's better things for tomatoes...
http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...loser-we-think

Time for me to go water the garden...
Haha, that is great. I've had good results using the human fertilizing method (along w/ organics) on my "special hops" wink, wink. It really does provide a lot of readily available nutrients, and it saves on the water bill. But to each their own, if miracle grow works, use it. I would only suggest that you cut off adding it, and leach w/ water about two weeks before harvest to flush out any built up salts/fertilizer in the plant. Good growing!

Edit: No need to store the pee, the bladder storing works just fine. I think we generate a steady enough "stream" to not store it (and that's weird). NO pathogens or other nasties have a chance of doing damage to your beloved plants, not that you should have any...especially that transfer to a plant. I have a horticulture degree and background, so, take it from me.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #67
Jughead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I couldn't resist....the closest relative to the hop plant, is well the cannabis plant. FYI, they can be grafted, My Dad said he did it back in the day. Made good beer by the sounds of it. So similarly, High nitrogen in veggie stage, high potassium and phosphorus, and trace minerals as soon as cones appear. flush w/ h2o before harvest...yummy hops! Good day all.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #68
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

During the civil war the south used to collect urine so they could extract the nitrogen to make gun powder.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #69
bionicbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have to say, I am ROFL with the turn this thread has taken. I many times pissed on my trees or plants because I was working in the yard and too lazy to walk back into the house. now that I know it's good for them, I may save some water by not flushing the toilet so often.

Quick Reply