Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Miracle gro is amazing!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 29,349
Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Yep, I said it.

Organic? That's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. If your hops aren't growing quite like you want them to, or as fast as you want to, use the blue powder Miracle Gro.

That's all I have to say because I believe that stuff sells itself,
Jacob
The blue miracle grow is 24-8-16 IIRC. That is a ton of nitrogen and that is why they go nuts on that stuff, especially if your soil is rather nitrogen poor to start. Also, the potassium is also a key element for hops cone formation and growth and this has a healthy dose of that as well, although it probably doesn't need that much potassium until the cone formation phase of growth in mid-summer.


Here is a nice OSU extension article on nutrient uptake in hops (bookmark it):

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat.../fg/fg79-e.pdf
__________________
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 29,349
Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Default

oh, and to the originator of this thread:

Everything you can do with synthetic fertilizer can be done organically. Just because you're not willing to learn how or that it may take more time and effort to do so does not mean it doesn't work and doesn't work well. The nutrients in natural composts and soil amendments are typically more stable and will feed your plants over a more sustained period of time, in addition to resulting in no chemical runoff. They also promote healthy insect and bacteria colonies that will provide better overall soil conditions and better resistance to harmful insect colonies through natural predation/colonies.

__________________
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 29,349
Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
ever try compost tea? nothing wrong with mirical grow if you want to.

a farmer just gave me a gal. water jug half full of some organic concentrate. one shot glass full to 2 gal water. dont know what its called but it rocks. and its organic. it looks like 5 year old bong water..
I wonder if it's plant-based compost tea or the stuff from the worm farms? Both are pretty potent, but they use the worm farm compost tea in tanks as a spray-application fertilizer in organic farming settings.

And I have no idea what the typical N-P-K equivalent of either is!
__________________
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 29,349
Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
There's better things for tomatoes...
http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...loser-we-think

Time for me to go water the garden...
Urea is a long-used fertilizer be it naturally produced or artificially manufactured.

And if you want to apply this as a growth-phase fertilizer to hops, it will work wonders, as urea is 46% nitrogen. Yes, you read that correctly. Apply urea during early growth and potash from the first indication of cone formation through harvest...
__________________
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,823
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
oh, and to the originator of this thread:

Everything you can do with synthetic fertilizer can be done organically. Just because you're not willing to learn how or that it may take more time and effort to do so does not mean it doesn't work and doesn't work well. The nutrients in natural composts and soil amendments are typically more stable and will feed your plants over a more sustained period of time, in addition to resulting in no chemical runoff. They also promote healthy insect and bacteria colonies that will provide better overall soil conditions and better resistance to harmful insect colonies through natural predation/colonies.
Hey, I'm all for organic, but I have a "black thumb" it seems. Lead me in the right direction oh wise one.

You see, when I first started my vegetable, herb, and hop garden this year, I did quite a bit of reading and this is what I did. I used 1/3 manure, 2/3 potting soil, and a bit of bone meal mixed in. To say the least, that did not do much for any of the things I was growing. What should I use?

Thanks,
J
__________________
HalfPint is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
brrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN, Indiana
Posts: 1,448
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

My hops are 6-7 feet tall already! I am not prepared and my trellis is is rough shape... aggg

__________________
* My Bar Build
8-Paws Brewing Co.
On tap:
. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
.
Kegged:
.

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.
brrman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
billc68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Prince Edward Island
Posts: 412
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
ever try compost tea? nothing wrong with mirical grow if you want to.

a farmer just gave me a gal. water jug half full of some organic concentrate. one shot glass full to 2 gal water. dont know what its called but it rocks. and its organic. it looks like 5 year old bong water..
My grandfather used to make a "tea" using a rain barrel and manure, he would water his plants with it. Not sure if it did much.
__________________
billc68 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,971
Liked 780 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
My grandfather used to make a "tea" using a rain barrel and manure, he would water his plants with it. Not sure if it did much.
Yeah, my grandfather had an awesome garden when we were kids. He would pick weeds from the garden and yard and boil them up in a big kettle and use the water to fertilize with. Sure seemed to work!
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 29,349
Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Hey, I'm all for organic, but I have a "black thumb" it seems. Lead me in the right direction oh wise one.

You see, when I first started my vegetable, herb, and hop garden this year, I did quite a bit of reading and this is what I did. I used 1/3 manure, 2/3 potting soil, and a bit of bone meal mixed in. To say the least, that did not do much for any of the things I was growing. What should I use?

Thanks,
J
There are a lot of things that go into it, including what your starting soil condition is. And if you're looking for a quick fix and immediate gratification, you're probably best off sticking with chemical ferts. Amending a poor soil into a fantastic organic and rich/loamy soil can take 5-10 years.

I'm not saying you haven't tried, but you said this:

Quote:
Organic? That's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.
Mixing a little manure and potting soil and calling organic practices "mumbo-jumbo" is just plain ignorant.
__________________
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #20
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,823
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
There are a lot of things that go into it, including what your starting soil condition is. And if you're looking for a quick fix and immediate gratification, you're probably best off sticking with chemical ferts. Amending a poor soil into a fantastic organic and rich/loamy soil can take 5-10 years.

I'm not saying you haven't tried, but you said this:



Mixing a little manure and potting soil and calling organic practices "mumbo-jumbo" is just plain ignorant.
From a gardeners perspective.
I've actually been primarily eating organic/locally grown food for quite a while now. I completely believe in eating natural more nutritious food, but considering I've started one single raised bed in a backyard of a home I will be moving from in the next year or so, organic doesn't necessarily make sense for now. With that said, I'm still into learning more about the process.
__________________
HalfPint is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Beer Miracle! subtlephilo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-24-2010 11:52 PM
Miracle LED Grow Lights bkov General Chit Chat 12 11-23-2009 02:19 AM
A Christmas Miracle! Slipgate General Beer Discussion 5 12-24-2008 12:37 PM
Miracle Beer? videoman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 03-16-2008 01:31 AM
It's a Festivus Miracle in April!!! brewinfool General Beer Discussion 1 04-13-2007 09:34 PM