New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Might not be getting plants in the ground this year.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
chrislehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Might not be getting plants in the ground this year.

Totally missed my window for here in Texas. Should I freeze the rhizomes? Will they survive a year of dormancy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
jmhart
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislehr View Post
Totally missed my window for here in Texas. Should I freeze the rhizomes? Will they survive a year of dormancy?
I'd go on and plant them. While it's a wee bit late for your zone, you'll still be alright. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get plenty of water. Since they'll be getting planted a bit late, they won't have developed the root system needed to survive a hot Texas summer without you helping them out with plenty of extra water.

I don't think they'd survive a year in the freezer.

They won't thrive this year for sure, but helping them limp along in the garden until next year will be better than losing them completely.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I'd go on and plant them. While it's a wee bit late for your zone, you'll still be alright. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get plenty of water. Since they'll be getting planted a bit late, they won't have developed the root system needed to survive a hot Texas summer without you helping them out with plenty of extra water.

I don't think they'd survive a year in the freezer.

They won't thrive this year for sure, but helping them limp along in the garden until next year will be better than losing them completely.
Sorry I didn't mention - that's part of the problem - Im going away for a honeymoon, and while we have someone watching the house, watering, etc - watching this and ensuring health is asking a lot....

So sounds like they might die - that kind of sucks

Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stick them in the ground.

Rig up a slow watering system with a 55 gallon container and either a wicking rag or a small hole in the bung.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just stick them in the ground or a bucket with drainage holes. Assume first years will not produce and you are doing foundation work for next year- your first production year. Get them in the ground forget about them next year start to wonder what dis I get myself in to.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
wrench
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Or you could use a soaker hose on a timer. That's how my garden survived my vacation last July.

Quick Reply