Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Massachusetts - Hop Growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
78kombi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im in western Mass, my first year cascades are like 3 ft tall.
the sterling had a problem the bud kinda snapped so its been in recovery for the last few weeks, but its just starting to get up there..less than a foot.
2nd year plants should be close to 8ft now

BrewBus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
slbradley01
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live on the South Shore and this Spring planted 20 cascade and 10 centenial. Cascade is going crazy, over the top of my 10' trellis. Centenial a little slower. This is a test crop. If I get a good yeild next year, am considering expanding and selling fresh, organic leaf hops. I have a few acres that would look nice with hops planted on them, plusa a big barn for drying. Used to be a lot of hops grown in the Northeast until the downy mildew problem. Cascade and centenial are fairly resistant.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, so it hasn't stopped raining in/around Boston in what feels like weeks, but the temperature has remained constant around 65-70°. I turns out that's perfect for Downy mildew. I've got issues with my first year vines now.
I've got a nugget that's 10ft, a cascade that's 11ft, and a goldings that's 6ft and they seemed to be pretty healthy untill all of this rain showed up. It's been several days since I checked my vines, but I went out there this morning and was discusted with what I saw. My cascade and my goldings have black splotches all over the leaves, mostly on the upper parts of the vine. If you look at freshops.com and look at the downy mildew pictures, my vines look like the #3 picture. Can I save these vines? Does anybody know how to stop downy mildew? I'm not opposed to just chopping off all of the bines and replanting the crowns if I can save them. I wasn't really expecting cones from the plants this year anyways. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good news! Kindof anyways. After a much further analysis, it turns out that downy mildew is not the problem. Aphids and sooty mildew are though. I noticed a growing aphid population a week or two ago, so I ordered some ladybugs and let them loose. I figured it would take at least a week for the ladys to eat their fill, so I didn't bother checking up on them. It seems that they don't like all of this rain either, so they all took off (all 1500 of em!) and the aphids kept right on eating my vines. The black splotches are sooty mildew which grows in the aphid honeydew. It's not harmfull to the plant, so as long as I can take care of the aphid problem the vines should be ok. I'm headed to home depot to find a strong insecticide today. I don't have cones or sidearms yet, so a strong commercial insecticide should be ok. Lesson learned, don't trust ladybugs in the rain.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
shan196
Recipes 

Hello,

Im growing 2 nugget and 2 glacier in allston. The plants are now all about 15 ft and im starting to get flowers on the nuggets. A guy i know uses some insecticide granules you put into the soil and then it kills everyhtijng on the plant

BJ

Old 07-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
78kombi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i use the soap base insecticide for aphids..non-toxic to us uprights also..watch out for cryssilis types nesting in the leaves, look for rolled up leaves,you'll see the webs in there if you find any, just pick em off before any hatching occurs.yes the rain sux azz, but my tomatoes love it

BrewBus

Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
slbradley01
Recipes 

Here is a nice photo of a hop plant reaching for the sun. From my garden 7-5-2009
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1246803724

Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #18
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here are my Hops in SE Mass. I have some on my shed. They are about 16' high cascades. The other cascades are on my house. The ones in the foreground are growing on a cable I have attached between 2 trees. They are about 18 feet high but I haven't measured them. As I recall the varieties are 2 german and 2 English style. Williamette, Kent Goldings, Hauletauer, and Sterling.

As you who grow know, the cascade are out of control. I get more of those than I can use, so I throw them away when the new crop comes. My neighbor thought he wanted to grow some one year, so I gave him a pot. He never planted them, so threw out the pot. Now he has cascades growing on the side of his house!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #19
slbradley01
Recipes 

Default nice

Looks great. What beers have you used them in? Good results?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbradley01 View Post
Looks great. What beers have you used them in? Good results?
I can't remember everything I've brewed, but I've had the best results with dry or wet hopping. You can basically only do wet hopping if you have your own supply.

The side benefit is that you get a real feel for the differences in hop aroma as you are picking and drying them.

Quick Reply