Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Man VS Trellis (My First Trellis Built)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I exaggerated on the stress part then, obviously If they said they would give replacement, and never followed through - thats just bad business. And yes, you could have easily bought one earlier on so you did not have to wait, had they at least been honest with their policy. Glad you are happy with your garden, its pretty kicka$$, I can attest.

I digress, for conversation sake, A rhizome is a plant, no matter where you get it there is no way to avoid one, two, heck 20% kicking the bucket. Heck, it could have been a grub that damaged the rhizome to the point it did not have enough energy to sprout, you just cannot see the damage because it is interior. I am very surprised you got that many to sprout in all honesty. You are obviously have a green thumb Mine also did well the first year, but the Chinook sure took their time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #22
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 on "it's a plant, not a washing machine."

Not trying to pick a fight, just what I think. Of my 14 1st years, 12 are 20+' tall and two are less than 2' tall. I'm not going back to the local store and detailing that I clearly know what I'm doing, and I have a great trellis, and I have excellent soil, therefore your rhizomes suck. It's still a plant and some just don't take off. Shrugs.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #23
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the pics, I was wondering if a trellis such as this would hold up...

There are so many variables concerning your hops not the least of which is an expectation that all rhizomes will grow.
The email could have gotten mistakenly erased, or being the WWW never arrived. The new hops could have been shipped and beng the USPS or UPS or Fed Ex or whoever, never arrived. Did you contact them again or are you going to punish them for their 7% failure rate? I see that the email sort of implied they would send out new rhizomes, but I was unable to locate any type of guarantee on their website.
Email is a piss poor way to get a resolution to a matter. Better to phone them and talk to a body.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #24
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Thanks for the pics, I was wondering if a trellis such as this would hold up.
It has not had a problem yet. It is secured by 4 steel cables and heavy duty tie down posts on each corner. It has already seen storm after storm after storm with the crazy weather we have been having as of late. It is pretty aerodynamic as the wind just goes right through. I also have each Coir Yarn line Secured with heavy duty Tent stakes, one on each end so I can let them down to harvest them.

I am pretty sure that it will hold up just fine if it made it this far.

And yes Email is a bad method of communication. I haven't called them. I may, but it is so late in the season now, Ill probably just have to wait until next year. I am more mad that I waited and it never came, than the fact they did not replace it. If people think it's crazy to ask for a replacement, sorry but if I can get something replaced for free, why not spend the time trying.

Looking forward to seeing how this years turn out at the end.

When can I expect the plants to starts growing outwards as well as upwards? right now they just keep going up, and up, and up... will they fatten up the first year, or is that to be expected in the following years ?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has your trellis had to face any winds as of yet? I am curious how it would stand up to the wind.

I tried my hand at planting some hops this year as well. I planted 3 Hallertau in front of my deck using a 4 ft stake and hoping they will creep along the railing. ( I ordered 2, received 3 and only 2 survived) and I planted 4 northern brewer that a buddy mailed me, (we think they are NB) for those, I ran galvanized cables from my flower bed to my roof, about 14-16 ft. They were planted late but seem to be doing well.
I went with simplicity as I don't plan to use pounds of hops every year and from what my buddy says, as long as they have sun, they will grow like weeds.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #26
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im going to have to agree with others in that it is a plant and theres no guarantee.

i had purchased 3 rhizomes from my LHBS this year (March).

when i got them they were small and skinnt with maybe one white sprout each.

even with my lack of hop growing experience i knew this didnt look promising.

2 of the 3 died, and the one thats still going has stalled out with two 1 inch shoots.

about a week ago i opted for a different vendor to replace my two lost hops. (Freshops)

these rhizomes are about double the size and have at least 3 sprouts each.

not too shabby for the end of the year pick'ins if you ask me.

i guess what im trying to say is that it couldve been WAAAAY worse. haha.

on another note, very impressive hops trellis and setup. well done. i look forward to more updates.

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #27
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
Has your trellis had to face any winds as of yet? I am curious how it would stand up to the wind..
Yes, it has already been through consistent 75+ MPH winds.

When the tornado came through Lafayette Indiana (about 40 Miles away) the winds were terrible. at least 3 hours of steady high winds with no problems at all except the plants themselves got beat up a little.

My only worry is when the plants finally get some bulk to them instead of being so skinny, how the winds will effect them at that point. But it seems no matter how the trellis is built, all Hop plants have to face this, since they all have to grow up the Hop lines.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only criticism I'm going to voice here is that PVC will get really brittle being in the sun. I think you'll get 2 seasons out of it if you store it out of the sun between growing seasons. Galvanized fence poles would be a bit more up front but would last 10 years.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #29
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Galvanized fence poles would be a bit more up front but would last 10 years.
Should last much longer than 10 years.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #30
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The only criticism I'm going to voice here is that PVC will get really brittle being in the sun. I think you'll get 2 seasons out of it if you store it out of the sun between growing seasons. Galvanized fence poles would be a bit more up front but would last 10 years.
Thanks for the Info. According to "The Google" I can paint the Schedule 40 PVP with a light-colored water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC and that will reduce any degrading effects caused by the sunlight.

Information obtained at (LINK) & (LINK)

Thank you very much for the heads up.

Quick Reply