Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Man VS Trellis (My First Trellis Built)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
scorchingice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
One option, if you're worried about height (or lack thereof), is to make the lines adjustable. Let out some slack once the bines reach the top...
Yes, the lines are actualy just tossed over the top rail and tied down on the other side with another stake. I have 2 stakes per hop vine, the one it grows up and the other side to let down the vine to harvest / get more growth height.

BTW thx for the replies all. just planted the Rhizomes so it will be a bit. BTW how much to water them at the start / initial planting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice job! One question, what is that bag of stuff labeled 'Insect Control'?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Nice job! One question, what is that bag of stuff labeled 'Insect Control'?
http://www.ecgrowproducts.com/index....ntpieceId=6130

That describes it pretty well. We have a lot of ants and fleas, etc. around here so I figured I would treat the soil before planting, and then maybe some during the season if the insects get real bad. I am also going to be getting some Grub Worm control as we get them also.

I did not use much, so I doubt it will cause any issues with the plants.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchingice View Post
http://www.ecgrowproducts.com/index....ntpieceId=6130

That describes it pretty well. We have a lot of ants and fleas, etc. around here so I figured I would treat the soil before planting, and then maybe some during the season if the insects get real bad. I am also going to be getting some Grub Worm control as we get them also.

I did not use much, so I doubt it will cause any issues with the plants.
Ahh I see - Those fleas are NASTY buggers. They destroyed a bean crop of mine almost fully. A side thought - I am surprised they market the product as 'ant killer' considering ants are actually good for a garden. Kill the ants.... and there goes a line of defence against many pests.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #15
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Ahh I see - Those fleas are NASTY buggers. They destroyed a bean crop of mine almost fully. A side thought - I am surprised they market the product as 'ant killer' considering ants are actually good for a garden. Kill the ants.... and there goes a line of defence against many pests.
The only issue with ants is they have a symbiotic relationship with Aphids, which can be a real issue.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
luvhopps
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice set up. Is that Schafer lake, or freeman lake in the back ground? My parents live on the big Monon.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhopps View Post
Nice set up. Is that Schafer lake, or freeman lake in the back ground? My parents live on the big Monon.
That is Lake Shafer in the background.

Yes I love it here. Quiet in the winter and lots to do in the summer with the lake and boats

Plus a lot of yard to work with

Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #18
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fresh new update

Just wanted to make a post showing updates to my Hops Garden and to show how it is progressing.

Here are some pictures after a lot of time has passed. I added mulch and landscape fabric to get rid of the nasty weeds and grass sucking out the plants nutrients.

So on with the pictures.

Pictures of the Garden taken July 3rd 2010.

2 of my Hops plants have what appear to be Bite marks all over some of the leaves. Not all of them, just a few. This doesn't show it well but is the best picture I could take with my cheap camera.

And Last but not least. 15 of the 16 plants have started growing. 2 of them I had to dig up and replant to get them going.

But the one NEVER did come up.

I contacted the place I ordered from *Freshops* and this was the correspondence between us.

On May 9, 2010, at 9:40 AM, *EDITED FOR PRIVACY* wrote:

message: I placed an order for 16 Hop Rhizomes. Freshops Web Store: Order #(EDITED OUT) ‏The order consisted of the following:2 (RHIZCASC) Cascade rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZCE) Centennial rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZFU) Fuggle rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZMA) Magnum rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZNO) Northern Brewer rhizome $5.00 $10.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZCH) Chinook rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs each 2 (RHIZKG) Kent Golding rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.09 lbs each 2 (RHIZWI) Willamette rhizome $4.50 $9.00* Weight: 0.07 lbs eachI planted all 16 at the same time. Out of the 16 only 13 started growing plants. They have been in the ground long enough that they all should be up by now. In fact, the ones that did not grow are all singles in that the other Rhizome of that type started growing fine.The ones that did not start growing are1) (RHIZNO) Northern Brewer rhizome(1) (RHIZKG) Kent Golding rhizome(1) (RHIZWI) Willamette rhizome Is there anyway this can be rectified? Thank you,Brian.

On May 12, 2010, I received this response

Brian,

Dig them up and look for white sprouts. Make sure they are not planted too deep, too wet, or upside-down.

Hoppily,
Dave Wills
Purveyor of fine hops

*NOTE THE REPLY I GOT* "FROM A HOPS MASS PRODUCTION COMPANY" So all the people that laughed about THIS Post can take another look at why I asked it.

On May 15th, 2010 I responded with this Email

I dug up all 3 plants. The Kent Golding and the Northern Brewer looked exactly as when I got them in the mail. There was no growth at all.
The Willamette had some of the white sprouts. in fact they were long and growing into the ground. I replanted them but am unsure which way the white sprouts should be growing. Are they supposed to be growing into the ground or are those the ones that grow up out of the ground?

All 13 other plants are already out of the ground and at least 10 inches tall so I have to assume that all 3 of these are having problems.

I do not want to wait a full year to find out none of these 3 are going to grow and have to restart these 3 with the others 1 year old already established.

I purchased 16 plants, if 13 are growing and 3 are not. It goes to show I planted the others correctly, they are all getting the same water and sunlight so they should all be growing the same.

Again, please rectify this situation.

Thank you.

Brian

On May 20th 2010 I received this response

Brian,

White shoots need to be pointing up!
What is your address for the Golding and N. Brewer?

Dave Wills
Freshops

(I sent an Email on May 20th with my shipping address and information and have yet to ever receive any new Rhizomes)

As much as I enjoyed my first year starting hops. I think I will purchase my stuff from somewhere else in the future. They never did come through with a replacement. and if 15/16 grew. I doubt I was the cause of the 16th one not growing.

Last edited by scorchingice; 07-04-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar / spelling

Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Your garden looks fantastic! Great job! I really mean that.

Now, I hope you don't mind me chiming in on your freshops experience - I find it kind of comical how surprised you are acting that one of the hops did not emerge. No offense intended here, but you are not buying a bloody DVD, or a package of printer paper or something that you EXPECT to work exactly the same everytime. You cannot take a Rhizome back to the store and demand a refund, because it is a living plant - life happens, and death (even in plants) is a part of life. You might save yourself a huge bunch of stress if you just realize that you bought a plant and not a warrantied, factory guaranteed, gold stamped product made by time honed craftsman.

Geepers man - 1 in 16 is an awesome viability. Why are you even writing Freshops? Even if they say they have some kind of Guarantee, I would certainly be pretty happy with 93% viability.

I think I will go back to the nursery, the strawberry plant I bought only gave me 2 berries and I demand it to give me 3.

Sorry, but it is a bit funny!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I purchase items, I expect them to work as intented. If I had only purchased 1 or 2, sure it could be a fault I made. When I purchase a large order, and 15 out of 16 work, it tells me there was 0 chance that plant would have grown no matter how much time and effort I put into it.

You can look at it as, Oh its a plant, you win some you lose some. I look at it as a company that should strive to make customers happy dropped the ball.

As far as it causing me a "bunch of stress" it didn't. I am happy with my garden. But I will use a different company for replacement rhizomes. I do not like false promises. They asked for my address yet never sent a replacement rhizome. Had they just said, we don't guarantee the rhizomes, I could have at least purchased new ones so I would not have to have a First year plant among 15 other second year plants come next season.

Quick Reply